Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated baby..pulling and soreness

Default Frustrated baby..pulling and soreness

My baby is 2 wks old, we always need to pump because he latches and pulls then cries and pushes me away after 20 mins or so of changing positions and sides I would go and pump for him. Usually after a nice nap or bath he would latch easily but that would only happen two or three times a day if I'm lucky. At those times he would suck really hard and my nipples would be very sore after. I don't know what to do I think I need to see a lactation consultant this week.

Default Re: Frustrated baby..pulling and soreness

I would see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, immediately. Hands-on help is key when you have latching problems! Until then, the tips in this link may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

If your LO will latch after a bath, I suggest giving him a LOT of baths.

Some nipple soreness is normal in the early days of breastfeeding. But nipple pain is not. Can you tell us a bit more about the sensation you're experiencing? Is it a burning, an itching, or a stabbing pain? Do you see any changes in the skin of the breast or nipple- redness, flakiness, shininess? And when the baby unlatches, what is the nipple shaped like- is it elongated and symmetrical, like a pencil eraser or elongated and asymmetrical, like a new lipstick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think it's soreness mostly but will last until the next feed about 3 hours or so it's not pain or burning although one side does feel warm sometimes. The shape is elongated and sort of on the flat side so I guess it's asymmetrical?

Burning would indicate thrush, so no burning is good!

An asymmetrical, flattened, or lipstick-shaped nipple can indicate a latch which is too shallow. Instead of the nipple being deep in the baby's mouth as he feeds, the nipple is in the front of the mouth, where it gets compressed between the baby's hard palate and moving tongue. These videos may help you achieve a deeper latch: http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"