Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will what I eat affect baby's bowels?

Default Will what I eat affect baby's bowels?

Eliza goes for a couple days sometimes without pooping. Her stomach gets almost distended - she is packed full and sometimes uncomfortable, arching her back with discomfort. I have read on here that this is actually pretty normal.

But my sister insists that I should eat prunes, and treat it as if it were my own constipation I was dealing with, that she will get the effect of the prunes through my breast milk. Is that true? I myself am not having any problem with bowel movements. And I thought that my diet shouldn't affect hers, very much, as long as I am staying healthy, right?

If I thought she needed it, I would eat prunes, or whatever, but I'm not going out to buy them specifically unless I know it will have some benefit for the baby beyond my normal diet.

Default Re: Will what I eat affect baby's bowels?

is the baby on any solid foods or formula or just breastmilk
    if you have started cereal you might want to cut back untill her poops are the normal breastfeed poops and then slowly add foods back in.

I agree with the PP. When I started solids (if you have as well) rice cereal was a bad culprit. I have found other things as well that make poor LO constipated. I stop solids and go right back to exclusively BF, it will clear up quick as BM is a natural way to resolve the problem and keep LO going regularly. I do not think prunes will help your LO.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I don't know about solids yet because my LO hasn't started them yet. She was having this problem too for awhile. I was also irregular myself. I haven't been doing the heavy duty stuff like prunes, but I did notice when I started adding more fruits to my diet, she started going every day, sometimes twice, again. HTH!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Oh, I guess I should have given more information! Eliza is 3 months old and she is exclusively breastfed. (and bottles of expressed breast milk)

I read something about giving them more water - does anyone ever mix water in with breast milk or anything?

Yes I confess to having mixed bm with water during the hot summer. Why? It was hot and he would not drink water by itself and he had similar issues. Other than that I don't know if you eating prunes would help your baby. On the one hand yes, what gives moms gas often makes babies gassy but if certain foods help the digestion...I have never heard/read that, but if it worked for a pp then why not give it a try? Usually they say that exclusively breastfed babies can go for up to a week without a bm but they should not be in such a discomfort as you describe...

Just a quick response to the PP. This is an article from the Dr. Sears website...

"Does my breastfeeding baby need bottles of water?"

Breastfeeding babies do not need extra water, though formula-fed babies often do. Your breastmilk contains enough water for your baby, even in hot, dry climates. Formula contains higher concentrations of salts and minerals than breastmilk does, so that extra water is often necessary for the kidneys to excrete the extra salt. Also, because of less efficient metabolism, formula-fed infants lose more water. In breastfed babies, not only is extra water unnecessary, giving bottles of water to quench baby's thirst may also lessen the desire to breastfeed. This will interfere with the balance between mother's milk supply and baby's demand. Bottles of water are also likely to cause nipple confusion. A baby who is too warm or thirsty, but not hungry, can satisfy his need for more water by feeding more frequently and just enough to get the watery foremilk, but not necessarily the creamier hindmilk. Breastfeeding babies are great self-thirst-quenchers.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet