Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not enough milk??

Unhappy Not enough milk??

I have a 4 week old and breastfeeding has been going great until late yesterday. The baby started getting distressed at my breast and would feed longer then usual (about 35 minutes) and then need to eat again within the hour. I have noticed that when I pump I am only expressing about 1 oz (in comparison to 3oz) in a sitting. What should I do??? I am going crazy feeding every hour for 30 to 40 minutes! My nipples are starting to get really sore

Default Re: Not enough milk??

Pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you have. It is not likely that you do not have enough milk. At the early age of 4 weeks, latch might be an issue. If your LO is not latching correctly, milk will not express as good as it could. Also at this age, your LO is getting used to what nursing is all about. My LO was at the breast frequently and for what seemed like forever at first. I went to an LC who (at the time I cried) told me I was doing it all wrong. Turns out I was.

Hang in there, a consultant might help you a great deal.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

This is such a hard situation, I wish you the best.

I am the mother of a 5 week old, and at 3.5 weeks I was pretty sure he wasn't getting enough because of similar behavior, so I did a lot of research and got a lactation consultant. In my case, I am not producing enough for him and he did need a supplement. The LC was able to look at my breasts and recognize that their anatomy is often associated with low producing glandular tissue. THIS IS RARE.

I learned this after several days of the pattern you're experiencing. I also learned that the far greater likelihood is that moms go through periods like this and the result is their supply getting built up and breastfeeding going just fine after that. So don't assume you're not producing enough. I know I really needed to peace of mind of an expert, because after several days my instinct was that something wasn't right. If you can, I suggest you do the same. Or maybe the hospital where you gave birth has a resource.

GOOD LUCK!

I agree with the PP. Pumping will not tell you how much milk your LO is getting when s/he nurses. 4 wks is a standard growth spurt time. My guess is your LO has just increased his/her need and if you continue to nurse on demand you supply will catch up. Those first couple of months are exhausting, I know, but it's crucial that you feed on demand. Try using some Lanolin on your nipples when you are not nursing to help with the soreness. It will get better!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

How are things going for you now?

NewMommy123,
    I don't know if you are still logging on. Nursing so frequently can be exhausting. Your lo is probably going through a growth spurt.

Here is an article I found comforting during that time. http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/Law45com.html

Hope you are doing better. Update us.