Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1month and still REALLY struggling!

Default 1month and still REALLY struggling!

I thought things would be so easy by now but they're far from it.

The pain is still unbearable, my son is not settling after being attached to both breasts for 50mins at a time ....

I went into Mothercare to feed him the other day and two ladies were in and out whilst I was still sitting there ...

Default Re: 1month and still REALLY struggling!

It should NOT be painful. Sounds very much as if there is a latch issue, that is the most common cause of pain, a incorrect latch. Can you call a LLL leader near you to come and see if she can watch you and help you correct the latch?

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

You shouldn't be having so much trouble. Get help from a LLL if you can or a Lactation Consultant ASAP. Hope it gets better soon .

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

with the PPs. Something isn't right, and hands-on help may be necessary to set things in order. You're amazing for continuing to hang in there! I've dealt with long-term nursing pain, and I know how much courage it can take to nurse for painful hours at a time, many times a day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have emailed a few local LCs in my area but as it's the weekend I prob won't hear anything until Monday I suppose ...

I have tried nipple shields and different holds over the past week but nothing is getting better.

The crack/blister on my left nipple is so sore now, it's so big that you could probably fit a coin into the gash itself ....

Now the pain is on my right nipple too and again, have noticed cracks and blisters appearing so what was a great side to feed from is now also a dreaded nightmare.

I have been applying nipple cream after all feeds for 1 month now and it's just not clearing up. The Dr prescribed me anti-fungal cream (without actually confirming anything was wrong) but that has made no difference either.

I can officially say this is the hardest thing I have ever done and the pain is probably worse than labour and I just want it to end

Self-care for bad cracks:

1. Moist healing. Keep the crack covered with lanolin ointment, and try to keep the humidity in your environment high.
    2. Go topless/braless as much as possible. No sense in further irritation from a bra or shirt!
    3. Use a mix of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment on the cracks to combat inflammation and infection. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied with a clean finger. My LC told me it did not need to be wiped off before nursing.
    4. Hydrate the crack before nursing by immersing the nipple in a shot glass of warm water for 30-60 seconds, or soaking with a wet cloth. Wet scabs tear open less painfully than dry ones.
    5. If the pain is so bad that you think you might quit, consider pumping to give your nips a break. Bottlefeeding before breastfeeding is well-established can mean risking the baby developing a bottle preference, butt I think that if your choices boil down to pump or quit, it's better to pump. And sometimes a small break from the pain gives you the strength to go on.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; September 12th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I eped for 2 1/2 years with DD1 and I found pumping at the end of that 2 1/2 years to become very hard on my nips, I found hydro gel pads by Medela to help a lot between pumps. You could try them between feeds.

*hugs*

UHG! I am angry for you right now! (not at you, FOR you!) You obviously have a dr who knows nothing about breastfeeding. UHG!

It should NEVER hurt and you should NEVER have blisters, etc. These are all clues that you have a bad latch! The correct latch will NEVER hurt and never cause blisters, etc!

Great job in calling around for LC's. take a look at Dr. Newman's site at the videos for a correct latch, until the LC's get back in touch with you. They might help you.

Your son could also have a tongue tie, uneducated drs will say it doesn't matter etc, but it does! So, a good LC will be able to tell if that may be what is causing this problem. As a tongue tie can cause all the problems you described as well.

Personally I would only use a shield for now. I know you said you had tried and it didn't help. But, since it's really pretty obvious your son has a bad latch it may help if you only use the shield till you can get help.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Oh PS Call your local LLL leader. She will help you for FREE. And may even help you over the weekend. Most LLL truly want to help people be successful at breastfeeding. I would call your local one like right now!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Here's a couple of links to read, till you can get a hold of your local LLL leader.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar00p10.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sore.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/heal.html

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs