Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3.5 month old won't take bottle!

Default 3.5 month old won't take bottle!

we are trying to get mt daughter to take expressed milk from a bottle but it is not working. we tried different nipples, has my mom/husband feed her but all to no avail.. she gets very fussy, pulls a fit and i just end up BF'ing her. My concern is that I plan to stop BF @ 6 months. Did we wait too long to introduce the bottle?

Does anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks in advance!
    Rachel

Default Re: 3.5 month old won't take bottle!

Have you tried wrapping the bottle in one of your shirts that you haven't washed yet so that it smells like you? Also, which bottles/nipples have you tried? We went through a lot before we found one that DS liked. The Playtex nurser are what worked for us. We introduced at about the same age I believe.

My first child would only take the gerber Nuk nipple like the pacifier she took. But...she only drank enough just to get by..an ounce or so at a time. She made up for feedings when i got home. My second one is now 8wks....same prob. w/ him. He seems to prefer the soothie bottle....for now. We'll see. Some people say trying a sippie cup or spoon feed. Good luck. Try not to stress too much. It will work out. When you are home your baby will get what he/she needs.

My DD was taking from 2 weeks until about 3.5 months. Then she quit suddenly. I don't think you waited too long. She doesn't know what to do with it and knows she wants you. It can be very frustrating. There are some options that don't include bottle feeding. You can use a spoon or dropper or a tiny cup. I thought it sounded crazy to do those things, but when I tried to offer the bottle and my DD wouldn't take it, I started spoon feeding her. I didn't want to give in to her. Honestly, I don't think it would have mattered. The spoon feeding worked really well and she would stop crying after about 3 spoonfuls. She maybe only got about an ounce or two and then I would give her a bath and breastfeed. At about 5.5 months she started to realize what the bottle was and took it one day like she had been doing it everyday. One of the things I started doing when she was about 4.5 months, was giving water in the bottle for her to play with. She would naw on the nipple and maybe get a drop or two. I don't know if that had anything to do with her taking it or not. I have had the best luck with Playtex Drop Ins Nurser System. Best of Luck. There is a bottle called Adiri that looks like a boob and nipple, but when I asked if people had great luck with it, 4 out 5 said no.
    Good Luck.

My daughter would not take a bottle either at three months. I had to leave and let my husband and/or grandma give the bottle. I used the Playtex nurser too which I found to be the best. I use Avent bottles now but she wouldn't take those at 3 months. Also at 6 months you should be able to introduce a cup. Best of luck.