Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not interested in the bottle

Question Not interested in the bottle

I have been exclusivley BF for the last 6 weeks while pumping to build up a supply. So I have been trying to give her the bottle, with breastmilk of course, so that my husband can feed her and I can have a bit of a break but she hates it! I have tried different nipples, doing it different times of the day and having other people try. I am out of ideas and was hoping maybe some of you had some.

Thanks in advance!

Addison 7/27/2010 7.5 lb 21.75 in

Default Re: Not interested in the bottle

Is there any reason why baby has to take a bottle? Are you going back to work?

Honestly I wouldn't even bother right now. I've always thought of it as your not technically getting a break because since your going to be missing a feed you'll have to pump during that time anyway
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

I have no advise since my DD is 6 months and will only drink from the tap. I tried probably 20 different forms of bottle/nipple and they all just pissed her off. Now we are woking on sippy cups cause I figure there is no point in the bottle this late in the game. We are doing OK with them as a play toy or as something else to do at meal time, but if she wants to nurse, she wants to nurse and there is nothing that will ever be a substitute in her mind or mouth.
    DD born 02/23/10 7lbs 7ozs - 18.5 inches
    1 week 7lbs 2ozs - 20.75 inches (I think the hospital measured wrong)
    2 weeks 7lbs 14ozs - 22.5 inches
    8 weeks 10lbs 14ozs - 23.5 inches
    11 weeks 11lbs 15ozs
    4 months 13lbs 15ozs - 26 inches

DSS - 50% custody - 04/03/07
    DSS - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 11/16/00
    DSD - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 06/02/99

Isabelle's mom, my DD1 never liked a sippy cup. She did better with a cup, and straw. Get a tight fitting lid, that has a tight straw hole. For free, the ones at restaurants usually worked well, I think it was red lobster with one of the better ones. Or Walmart also sells some, they have plain, and then some with cars of princesses on them. They have reusable straws. That's all she would use.

I agree with Kayla's mom, it's much bigger pain to me to pump then to just feed DD.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Lots of babies won't take a bottle from their mamas because they know the real thing is available. You might try having someone else give her the bottle while you leave the house for a short time. Try it when she's not really all that hungry too, so there is no frustration or pressure to make her drink it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We started trying a bottle at 4 weeks since I'll be returning to work at 10 weeks and she needs to take a bottle at that point. We're doing 2-3 bottles a week, tops, since I would prefer for her to nurse and it's certainly more convenient than making up a bottle when we're together. I also don't want it to impact my supply (I pump once a day after a nursing session).

The first time we offered a bottle, it was when we knew she was hungry and we put 1 ounce in (I didn't want to waste milk if she wouldn't take it). She drank most of it, all the while giving DH a look like "This is milk, but you are NOT mom!" I nursed her right afterwards and she almost seemed relieved to be drinking from the tap rather than this strange device! Now we put about 2 ounces in the bottle and I try to avoid nursing her immediately afterwards (I don't want her getting used to going to the breast right away since she won't have that luxury when I'm at work).

Kellymom has some good tips for bottlefeeding a breastfed baby. For example now DH knows that when the milk starts to dribble out she needs a break to swallow and he takes the bottle out of her mouth for a bit, until she tries to "latch" on to the nipple again. He'd given bottles to our formula-fed niece and nephew and they just suck continuously, so he wasn't expecting DD to need little breaks like that.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

my little girl (9weeks) would not take a bottle, but i finally got her latched on to one a brand called MAM it is really soft like our nipples. and i found the trick was to offer it to her before she got really hungry so she would not get frustrated and then look for comfort as well as a feed. i would let her play with it so she would get used to the feel of the teet, and then she naturally (finally) started to suck. and now she will take a bottle no problem. and this was only over the last two weeks

good luck
    bun oven
    mammy to Rose
    born 4th July 2010
    married my best friend 6th oct 2009
    going great

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I was finally able to get her to take the bottle but I can't be in the room and we have to give it to her before she gets really worked up otherwise its a disaster.

You ladies are great thanks again

Addison 7/27/2010 7.5 lb 21.75 in