Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fussy on first breast

Default fussy on first breast

Lately dd has become very fussy while nursing off the first side. It doesn't matter which side it is, left vs. right, side she last nursed on or not. When I switch her to the second side she's fine. She only nurses for about 10 minutes at a time, but goes 3 hrs between sessions and has plenty of wet diapers so I know she's getting enough. Any ideas about the fussiness?

Default Re: fussy on first breast

My DD does the same exact thing!!! It doesn't matter what breast it is!!! And she nurses like crazy on the second one!! I would also like to know if anyone knows why that is??

Same here! All I can think is that she drank more off the second side the last time, and so when I do that one first the next time, there isn't as much?! She's super fussy and popping off and on and squirming on the first side, then all content on the second. Weird.

There can be many reasons why baby can be fussy at the breast. How old is your LO? Mine goes through stages where if he is reaching a big milestone like crawling, standing, etc, he wanted to get down and do just that rather than eat. If my DH walked by he would push away to look at him. Same thing with our pets. Also when teething. Many things can attribute to this, it's a game of elimination.

Check out the following link to Kelly Mom's web site and see if you can determine what the issue might be, good luck!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet