Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yeast/thrush and frozen milk

Default Yeast/thrush and frozen milk

I've been pumping once a day for the last few weeks to start building a freezer stash for my return to work in 5.5 weeks.

After my breastfeeding support group meeting on Tuesday, I asked the LC to take a look at me because I was still having nipple pain. To make a long story short, I had abraded nipples due to a shallow latch when DD was less than a week old and then spent 3 weeks trying to get them to heal (and developing mastitis in the process!). I had thought I was healed up but was still having pain when DD latches on that side. The side with pain is the side I had mastitis on and I thought that perhaps there was a crack I couldn't see. Anyways, she checked DD's mouth and saw a light film (more than an hour after I'd nursed last) and looked at my nipples and said it looks like yeast. We are treating both of us with 3 days of gentian violet starting today - it took two days for the pharmacy to order it for me.

We have no idea when the yeast issue started because I had nipple pain from the abrasions (I've never nursed pain-free). The LC thought it probably cropped up some time after starting those antibiotics for mastitis - which was nearly 3 weeks ago, and all of my milk in the freezer has been pumped since then!

I figured I'd ask her on Tuesday, but is it safe to use that milk or do I need to throw it away? I get 4-5 ounces per pumping session and I pump once a day, so there's a decent amount of milk in the freezer and I think I'd cry if I had to start over again when I'm only a little over a month from returning to work. At the same time I don't want her somehow getting thrush again from the milk and then giving it back to me, especially once I'm back at work!

Default Re: Yeast/thrush and frozen milk

I have thrush too and was told to NOT freeze the milk as the cold does not kill the yeast. If you boil the milk the yeast will be killed but you also kill alot of the good things in breastmilk to (like the antibodies). I wouldn't stress too much about a freezer stash. I just returned to school and pumped a few days before my first day (to feed that day) and then have just been feeding what I pump during the day the next day (ie wednesday's pumping gets fed thursday). So far I have had leftover milk sent home from daycare everyday. As long as you send 1 to 1 1/2 oz of milk per hour you are away your baby will have dones to eat. And it is fine to give your baby day old or two day old milk even if you are treating for thrush as mondays milk likely has about the same levels of thrush in it as tuesdays milk. Hope that all makes sense! Be very studious with treating your thrush...it can be very hard to get rid of.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I was afraid that was the case. I'm sure I can re-build a stash, I just hate to have the effort of pumping wasted. I'll keep the milk from before the timeframe where the abrasions healed; before that point the pain was clearly from the abrasions/cracks. The LC said the yeast was probably a result of the antibiotics I took for mastitis.

We were instructed to treat with GV once a day for 3 days, and she said I could give pumped milk to the baby during that time (we've been giving DD 2-3 bottles per week). I just didn't think to ask about freezing milk.

I was told to boil my pump parts, bottle nipples, pacifiers, etc. daily - so I boiled my pump parts and bottle nipples yesterday and put them away until after this yeast is gone. I kept one pacifier out and am steam sterilizing it daily. I have milk in the fridge from yesterday that DH can use to give her a bottle tonight but until I see the LC again on Tuesday I won't freeze any of the milk.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

Medela makes these wonderful steam bags that kill yeast. You put them in the microwave for 1.5-5 minutes, depending upon the power of your microwave.

They are such a life saver! Boiling things drove me nearly mad.

I truly believe these bags are part of what helped me finally win the thrush war.

They are less than $5 for a box of 5 at Target. You can use each bag 20 times. Worth their weight in diamonds!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Medela makes these wonderful steam bags that kill yeast. You put them in the microwave for 1.5-5 minutes, depending upon the power of your microwave.

They are such a life saver! Boiling things drove me nearly mad.

I truly believe these bags are part of what helped me finally win the thrush war.

They are less than $5 for a box of 5 at Target. You can use each bag 20 times. Worth their weight in diamonds!
    Thank you! I had a box of them from my baby shower but hadn't tried them yet. Wow, so much easier than boiling! I will be using them daily when I return to work. If only the Quick Clean wipes were as cheap as the steam bags...but I digress.

The three days of gentian violet did the trick for now. No more pain for me - we could never see white patches in her mouth, but her diaper area had been a bit red prior to the treatment and that went away very rapidly once we started the GV.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010