Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after 5.5 month break

Default Relactation after 5.5 month break

Hello all.

BF for one month. Its been 5.5 months since I stopped. I never knew relactation was possible till now.

Domperidone hasn't come in the mail yet and I've been pumping for a week and a half now with a hospital pump. Not a drop yet. Also using more milk plus.

Having a hard time waking up at night to pump - is this the key to establishing any kind of milk?? Will I never get a drop till I start waking up at night?

People tell me its very unlikely after the 3 month mark and that it will take ages. I know it is very very hard pumping every 2-3 hours with a 6.5 month old that sometimes just won't sit there and watch me pump! Its very hard for me to keep pumping this much and function in life with no help for a month straight. I truly do want to relactate though.

Anyone have any experience? Thanks!!!!!

Default Re: Relactation after 5.5 month break

Welcome! How cool that you're going to give relactation a shot. It can definitely be done. Domperidone and the hospital grade pump should really help. Will your baby latch on at all? That can help even more. If not, some tips here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Having a hard time waking up at night to pump - is this the key to establishing any kind of milk?? Will I never get a drop till I start waking up at night?
    No, nighttime pumping is not necessary to getting milk. It's better if you can wake up and pump- the more stimulation you can give yourself, the more milk you will make and the faster you'll make it. But it's not absolutely necessary.

People tell me its very unlikely after the 3 month mark and that it will take ages.
    Is it unlikely? Nope.

Will it take ages? Well, not ages. It may take a good while, but it can be done. (My mom relactated after 3 months off, so I know that it's possible.) Do you have a LC to help you?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Relactation after 5.5 month break

Thanks for your feedback! I really wish the domperidone would get here!!!

Sebastian won't nurse in fact he cries when I put him anywhere near it even half asleep :*( never had any issues such as thrush, etc. so Im sure he just doesn't want anything forced on him that isn't his binky

I got the sns just in case : but won't use until I get a drop of milk.