Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP - baby not sucking

Default Re: HELP - baby not sucking

i gave up

i tried different positions to get him to latch and nothing worked. he moved his head back with some... others he screamed and he arched his body.

when i got him to open his mouth, he only grabs half the nipple and when i try pushing in further, he bites down or i feel his tongue stopping it. tried the shield and even express milk before. that didnt work.

yesterday evening, i was so tired PLUS my husband isn't here to help feed when i'm pumping. Then there my 4 yr old that is acting out and has a double ear infection, won't leave the baby alone. she just wants to be touching him and she can be a little rough.

so i decided to stop trying and the pumping. i'm a emotional wreck. the last thing i want to do is focus all my time on trying to get him to nurse and pump and not enjoy these days with him and my daughter. i hate to have to return to work in November and look back and see that i didn't enjoy it with them.

i am very sad about it. i cried yesterday a lot. i keep thinking, what if i try one more time. maybe he'll latch on. what if he latch on next week. i also know know how good breast milk is for him. again. i just too tired to pump 24/7 this time around. i feel like such a quitter.

the lactation consultant called me to see how things were going. i explained to her that we were still having problems. how he wouldn't even take a slow flowing bottle. she really didn't any additional advice except something about my putting my finger in his mouth to check his sucking. she said that when she tried it during our session, it felt "chopping" . well i can't tell. she also brought up my nipple size. she said on a scale of 1 to 10 - 10 being the biggest, mine were 7. and yea, they are pretty big. i'm not big chest, but my nipples are big, my sisters even said so when they saw me try nursing him.

i have to think that quitting is the best thing for us, even though it's killing me.

that is really rough. However I would recommend you give it one more try by seeing a different lactation consultant- an IBCLC. They may be able to give you some better advice than just to tell you that your nipples are too big This link has a search for an IBCLC.
    http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432
    Good luck.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

With a young baby that is used to the bottle it is going to take some work to get him back to the breast. But it can be done.

The LC you saw doesn't (in my opinion) sound like she knows what she's talking about quite frankly. Finding an IBCBC would be a better bet. Or contact your local leader for free hands on help. An experienced momma might be just the thing you need.

I can read the frustration and exhaustion in your post momma. I'm sorry you aren't getting the support that you need. Is there anyone, friends, family, anyone who can come over and help you with your 4 year old so that you can work with your newborn? It is very exhausting to have just given birth and your hormones are all out of whack which makes everything seem that much more overwhelming.

A momma with a newborn is protrayed in every form of media as a slim, serene, flowing figure blissfully happy with her new little bundle sleeping peacefully in a crib beside her in a clean room with flowing curtains and warm diffused sunshine seeping through the windowpane. BUT this is NOT reality! The exhausted, baggy eyed momma who hasn't had a shower and is in wrinkled maternity clothes taking care of a fussing infant who just projectile poo'd all over her and himself with at least one or possibly two toddlers or preschoolers in the background clamoring for attention is very normal and if you experience the latter let me assure you that you are in good company here!

I would really encourage you to give it a bit longer of a try. I have seen other mommas on here stick a lot out and I have had many hurdles myself in the breastfeeding path. Breastfeeding is a natural way to feed your baby but that does not mean it comes easily or naturally to most mommas. A large percentage of women have some issue to contend with before getting into a groove with breastfeeding. This is the norm. It doesn't mean you have to quit.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I want to also encourage you to go see a LC in person vs. on the phone. And see an IBCLC vs. an LC. I know thinking on it you probably don't think it will make much of a difference but I can promise you having a good LC makes all the difference. It did for us.

And the one you have is not a good LC or else you would have a plan in place and feel supported.

You can still do this if you want to!!
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

To me as has been said to you before, big red flags when it comes to this LC mentioning you have too big of nipples. That's ludicrous! How does she think the human species has survived if every woman with big nipples couldn't feed their babies? See the craziness in that line of thinking?

I have quite big nipples (it's been mentioned to me time and again), my baby was only 4 lbs at birth, went down to the 3 lb range after birth, yet she has always been able to latch on!

Really really seek a different LC, the kind the women here are suggesting I think is worth a look.

The one you are going to sounds like my first, and yeah I never was successful that time with BFing either, she was terrible and sad that she was getting money for pretty much NOTHING!

I know you're exhausted now, but I think if you get the right help you will feel so much better! And you can look back very happy in a few months, with it.

I'm not trying to push you. I just know I felt terrible about giving up when I did with DD1, I still feel bad about it. I cried every few months about it with DD1. I wish I had known about the kind of LC's that they are suggesting you seek out. I think we could of had success. Plus the kind of LC these women are suggesting knows how to check a baby to see if it's a problem that can be easily fixed for the baby-tongue tie or what not.

*hugs* So sorry you are going through this, I know how had it was with my first. But, I also know how happy I am that I sought better more educated advice and got things going right with DD2!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

PS I hate to suggest this, but do you have parents or inlaws, or siblings that live nearby.

I think you need a break. I sometimes send my daughter with one of the three choices above so I can get a break. My 4 y/o is the same way with the baby, and I get absolutely no rest with her around, cause she wakes up baby constantly, so then baby is awake, then said 4 y/o goes to sleep! Meanwhile baby is left wide awake and I have to tend to her, by the time I get her to sleep said 4 y/o wakes again! Yeah...........it's a trip! lol haha

But, even if one of the three (my sister, my mom, or my inlaws) take 4 y/o for just a day sometimes, it really gives me the rest (read SLEEP!) I need to get my balance back and keep going for a while longer.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

First of all, sorry that you are going through this! I know that it was between 8-10 wks before we resolved our nursing issues and felt comfortable enough to let my guard down...a little. We are now at 7 months and I am working on increasing my supply because she was sick the last week and refused to nurse. It can always be something! You will get there if you can just mustar up enough energy to give it more time! The fact that she will latch is awesome! Just a few thoughts...jaundice causes babies to be sleepy...I can't remember where I read that but I felt so much better after I had! My DD was HARD to keep awake....I constantly had to change her, take her clothes off, reposition her, etc. It was hard work but it paid off...eventually. I definitely agree with everyone else about a LC that knows what they are talking about! I too do not believe you have too large of nipples. Skin to skin! Best of Luck!