Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 mos and counting!

Default 13 mos and counting!

And a few questions, kinda new to toddler nursing although I did nurse Noah for a while during toddlerhood

Anyway. I've pretty much nursed on demand this whole 13 months and I'd like to start cutting back some. Some days when we r home especially I feel like she nurses as much as a nb and that doesn't bother me at all. But when we r having a busy day is it okay to offer a snack and drink instead of nursing?

She's pretty much eating 3 meals a day just whatever I fix for N and she loves solids but I'd like to slow down a tad.. Not even close to wanting her to wean

Any advice? How many times a day does a 13 mo nurse typically?

Oh and the few days we cut back on nursing during the day a little she ended up reverse cycling and nursing like all night. Is that pretty common? Will she always do that when she nurses less during the day?

Sorry I'm rambling but to recap any advice on how to cut back a few sessions a day?
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Default Re: 13 mos and counting!

Congratulations on entering the toddler nursing years.... I have no advice about what is normal, because we most certainly were not, but I'm certain you two will find your groove...
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

the reverse cycling thing is really common, we had that a lot but i found it had a lot to do with comfort so a more cuddly day was as effective as nursing more. i think it's ok to offer a snack and drink if you're busy and your little one doesn't seem to mind the substitution but to be honest i think you just need to trust yourself and your child. if it feels right for both of you and it works it's cool. i've cut back on nursing in the past couple of months and it doesn't seem to be doing small boy any harm, you know what's right. i think a lot of the time the posts i put up on this site, i just want a bit of affirmation and it sounds similar for you. go with it. a new balance will arise continuously as i'm sure you well know. good luck, have fun!
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast

This phase shall pass. I know that doesn't help but it's true

Many toddlers ages 13 months to 15 months begin to nurse again like new borns

Quote:
    "How often do toddlers breastfeed?
    Breastfeeding frequency for toddlers is usually pretty erratic and varies greatly from child to child. It's normal for toddlers to be interested in everything around them and, as a result, not as interested in breastfeeding. At other times, baby will be so focused on the big changes within herself (developmentally), that she will want to spend lots of time at the breast to reconnect with mom and adjust to all the new skills in her life. Some children breastfeed often ("like a newborn" is a frequent comment that you hear from the moms of 12-15 month olds)"
    From here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...ernursing.html

At this age you can certainly try to offer snacks and drinks before a session. You can try the "don't offer, don't refuse" method but this can sometimes lead to weaning in some children.

After observing toddlers for many years and being a toddler teacher for several as well my take on it is that this budding independence that they really embrace is kinda scary. So they are doing a lot of back and forth with it emotionally. This makes them want to reconnect often. Bf'd babies of course seek the comfort of the breast.

I really think a lot of it is developmental at this stage and if you try to cut back they get upset or make up for it as you described by reverse cycling.
    Last edited by @llli*proudmamaof3; September 8th, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

That's great... you did a good job... nursing a baby in a pretty well manner is a troublesome trick to be very precise..

Kinda late but thanks for all the info!

And so glad to know she's not the only toddler that nurses like a newborn. She has been waking up 4-6 times a night to nurse. She didn't wake up this much as a tiny baby

We will keep on keepin on tho.

Just glad I can meet her needs
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.