Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help & Advice

Default Help & Advice

Hi,

I have a 15 month old daughter, who loves her "milkies". However, I'm not sure what's going on at the moment and would appreciate any advice or similar experiences.

Recently she has gone almost completely off solid food and is BFing all the time again. Today, for example, she ate the sum total of a few spoons of natural yoghurt, 1 bite of toast, 1 spoon of humous & 1 segment of a tangerine all day long! I'm worried that she's not getting enough nutrients & vitamins on BM alone at this age, but she's just not interested in food at all. She's been like this for a couple of weeks now & I don't know what to do.

She cut one of her molars the week before last and another tooth is almost fully through just above that, so I'm wondering whether maybe there are some more teeth coming through and if that's the reason she's off her food?

I've been working on that assumption for the last week or so, but how long do I let her go on like this? What if it's not her teeth? Should I start withholding BM, in the hope that she might eat some food?

Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated...
    Thanks

Default Re: Help & Advice

It is likely developmental like you have observed (due to teething or gaining a skill).

or...

Quote:

"How often do toddlers breastfeed?
    Breastfeeding frequency for toddlers is usually pretty erratic and varies greatly from child to child. It's normal for toddlers to be interested in everything around them and, as a result, not as interested in breastfeeding. At other times, baby will be so focused on the big changes within herself (developmentally), that she will want to spend lots of time at the breast to reconnect with mom and adjust to all the new skills in her life. Some children breastfeed often ("like a newborn" is a frequent comment that you hear from the moms of 12-15 month olds)"

From this link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...ernursing.html

My kids did this too, hang in there. It will change again!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I vote it's due to molars.
    Those buggers are painful. Something I learned along the way is that as soon as you think you have it figured out, it will change. Hang in there mama.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

My DS is going on 17 months and I'm lucky if he eats ANYTHING lately...

I swear I spend all of my time cooking good meals for him, he plays and flings stuff across the room, and I end up feeding it to the dogs or putting it down the garbage disposal. It can be frustrating, but I can't force him to eat.
    Emily~ nursing my 19 mo old baby boy with baby #2 due June of 2011!

Ditto with all the above answers and I would not withhold bm from her. She needs you the most right now to get her through all she's going through imho.
    Proud Momma to Emmanuel Stephen (2/14/09).

22 months and counting!
    :

with pps. Molars are a pain, and who knows, your DD could magically go down to a couple time a day next week. They are just so unpredictable when they are that age.
    Robin

My son had all the usual issues with growing new parts and discovering new things, and also some health issues, so I never knew what was driving his desires for nursing. Sometimes I felt pretty tapped out -- he nursed A LOT until he was 2, then he cut back some -- but ultimately I just felt an intuitive sense that he knew what he needed, and I had it, and so how could I not just provide it? I have no regrets for having chosen that path, and I'm fairly certain that he doesn't either
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

DS just got a molar and he is throwing all his food on the floor. I just keep nursing but I understand the worry. I know his mouth hurts though and I'm glad at least he's got my milk to keep him going calorie wise and comfort him.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

The one-year-old molars are brutal. Joe definitely stepped up the nursing and backed off of solid foods while he was cutting his molars (a process that seemed to take a million years!). So I bet that's it. Otherwise, I would just be on the lookout for signs of a cold or fever, because that can certainly cause a change in appetite too. I would absolutely trust your daughter to know what's best for her when she's not feeling 100%. A liquid diet () might be just the thing she needs right now.

Good luck!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I just discovered a molar broken through on my dear 13.5 month old and her mouth has scarcely left my breast the last few days.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.