Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping to go back to work

Default Pumping to go back to work

Hello Ladies,

I am a first time mom and new to this forum. I am looking for some advice on how to start the pumping/storing process to go back to work in 4 weeks. The LC at the hospital was very nice but didn't really give me a good starting point. Her advice was just "see how it goes for you, everyone is different". Which I do understand but I would like some guidance on where I should even start. When do I start pumping? How many times a day? I know I need to get going so I can build up my stock. How many ozs per "serving" do I store. My plan right now is to start pumping once a day, after her morning feeding. Do I pump both breasts or only the one she didn't nurse from? I appreciate any suggestions to get me started!

Thank you so much and I look forward to being a part of this wonderful forum!!

Default Re: Pumping to go back to work

There's a ton of info on this very question in the pumping and working forums down below.

When do you have to go back to work?
    What kind of pump do you have?

There are many more questions I could ask, but that's a good start.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; September 6th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Mama, I'm sorry. I must have been tired when I read your post originally. You are back to work in 4 weeks. But yes, do consult the pumping and working forums.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*noellesmommy View Post
    Hello Ladies,

I am a first time mom and new to this forum. I am looking for some advice on how to start the pumping/storing process to go back to work in 4 weeks. The LC at the hospital was very nice but didn't really give me a good starting point. Her advice was just "see how it goes for you, everyone is different". Which I do understand but I would like some guidance on where I should even start. When do I start pumping?
    I would start now.

How many times a day?
    It depends. But when I was on leave I pumped usually 2-3X a day to get my stash.

I know I need to get going so I can build up my stock. How many ozs per "serving" do I store.
    It's usually recommended to do 2 or 4 oz portions. I usually do 2. You may find later on that you have a different size that works for you. 2/4 helps ensure no milk gets wasted.

My plan right now is to start pumping once a day, after her morning feeding. Do I pump both breasts or only the one she didn't nurse from? I appreciate any suggestions to get me started!
    Good plan. I would do both. You may not get much at first, but over time you will probably get more. At least that's how it was for me. Your body will just make more milk in reaction and you will have plenty.

I used to pump after the morning feed, before bed and around 2 am. Ugh. But when I did the pump in the middle of the night I could catch a good 3-4 oz. I have since stopped doing that, but I did it every night until my LO turned about 6 months. I've been successful in having my LO be on 100% BM even though I work FT.

Hope this helps.

Christine

Thank you so much for your reply. I should have looked around a little and I would have seen the working and pumping forum. I started this morning after she ate. I was able to get 2 ozs from one breast and just over an oz from the one she ate from. I'm assuming it's ok to combine the two? I'm going to try to pump after our bedtime feeding too. I guess I'll just start there and see how it goes. Thanks again for your advice!! Hope you're having a wonderful day!!

No prob.

Rule of thumb is that it's ok to combine milk as long as they are the same temp. So, if one is cooled and the other is body temp - cool them both and combine.

That's very good output.

I store mine in Laniosh bags. I freeze them flat, bag them in Ziploc Freezer Bags, and then put them in Tupperware tubs so they don't rip. So far I've been successful in that.

Christine

I have been pumping for my lo since she was 8 mos. She is now almost 1 yr. I always struggled with OS so I only pumped once a day before returning to work and built up a pretty big stash. I found that how much you need to pump depends on how big a producer you are. Th rule of thumb is that you shoul have 1-1.5 oz for every hour you are away from your lo. Some womencan get that in 2 sessions others need 4 or 5. As for storage, yoginimama has a great system!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

Great job wanting to continue to feed Mama milk after you've returned to work!

One piece of advice that I did not follow that I wish I would have: do not feed your baby what you've pumped after the feeding. Let your little one continue to nurse from you (even if you feel empty). If you start dipping into your stash you'll start a cycle of pump-feed-pump-feed that is *almost impossible* from which to break free.

Also: test to make sure you don't have a problem with excess lipase before you start freezing a ton of stash. Take a small sample of your milk, freeze it, thaw it, and taste it. If it tastes bitter or soapy you have too much lipase (enzyme) in your milk. What's the cure? After you've pumped, scald your milk (scalding is the stage right before boiling where you barely start to see little bitty bubbles) and *then* freeze it. That kills the lipase and makes sure your little one has fresh-tasting milk after it's thawed. Of course, if you taste your sample after freezing it and it doesn't taste funky, you're good to go!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.