Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing toddlers weight/growth issues

Default Nursing toddlers weight/growth issues

At 16 mo. check-up, AV's weight had not increased since an apt. a month & 1/2 ago (height has increased). AV is a very active, little gal - trying her best to keep up w/ 4 older siblings. She nurses very frequently (day & night) - for nourishment & as a pacifier - which is ok by me. Ecological breastfeeding, wearing baby, sleeping w/ baby & extended nursing are the norm for us. Her pediatrician seems insistent that I cut back to 2 daily feedings - morn & night - which I disagree w/. As for solids, she'll nibble here & there on a variety of healthy foods, drink some juice & whole milk, but isn't overly interested. Suggestions?? Should I be concerned about her (lack of ) weight gain?? She's obviously plump & healthy.

Default Re: Nursing toddlers weight/growth issues

I don't think I'd worry too much about just a month and a half. Children can plateau and then grow a whole bunch at once. You could try offering some more calorie dense solids (like avocado) or maybe during the day try solids first before BF, but I think mainly I'd just wait and see what her growth is like over the next few months. If she is truely not getting enough calories, what you will see is weight gain will stop first, then she'll stop growing taller, and finally head circumference would level off. Give it some more time and see what happens.

Been there. My ped wanted us to cut back too, but not that much. I tried half-heartedly and she did increase her food eventually, but I don't think it had too much to do with the fact that I cut down a little. I think she was waiting for a spurt.

**Compare the AAP growth charts to the latest WHO charts. I found my dd followed the WHO curve perfectly... all those babies were breastfed, and I think all the AAP's babies were FF. The WHO charts are VERY reassuring. You'll find the curve level off at your dd's age. Pediatricians compare your child to white american ff kids from the 50's... many of whom I must assume are quite overweight now.

Julie

Here's a link to the age-weight graphs. You'll see the weight gain slows way down and perhaps your child will also follow this curve. I prefer these growth charts because they are based on a world-wide population of babies raised in optimal conditions: breastfed, access to healthy food, quality health care, etc. And our slow-to-gain babies are right on track with this population.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

greetings, i'm new to these forums and thrilled to be here!
    thanks so much for the WHO link-
    DS is 19mos and by the WHO chart, he is indeed over the 50% in weight. My pediatrician gave me a "talking to" last visit when at 18mos DS weighed 25lbs-he's also very tall (forgot #)!!!!! i asked her directly if she was concerned that DS was still BF and she said "no, but you really have to fatten him up" she suggested pancakes, waffles, pudding, all high sugar food-i said DS prefers fruits, avocado & veggies, yogurt, soy chips-b/c i dont like a lot of sugar in his diet-she said "i dont want you thinking about sugar, i want you thinking in terms of gaining pounds"...to be fair, she's not my primary MD, i saw her due to scheduling, but i cant believe my child is in the 50% and she wants him fatter...he was a very chubby infant EBF, late solids and is just becoming lean and muscular like his daddy now that he's moving so much... i've head that BF toddlers are typically much leaner than FF or CM toddlers. DS is just now taking a bit of enriched soy milk during the day and he loves it- glad to hear i'm not alone with my little lean machine!

It doesn't make sense to me to cut back on such an easily digested, calorie and nutrient rich food to help a child gain weight.

I agree with the PP. My ODD is 20mo and since her 12mo check up has gained maybe two pounds. I thought doc was going to say something about cutting back on nursing but he wasnt concerned at all.

Quote Originally Posted by apbbluv View Post
    i asked her directly if she was concerned that DS was still BF and she said "no, but you really have to fatten him up" she suggested pancakes, waffles, pudding, all high sugar food-i said DS prefers fruits, avocado & veggies, yogurt, soy chips-b/c i dont like a lot of sugar in his diet-she said "i dont want you thinking about sugar, i want you thinking in terms of gaining pounds

glad to hear i'm not alone with my little lean machine!
    OMG - i cannot believe that she would say that to you - that is so crazy!!!

My little man is 16 months and hasn't gained a pound since he was 9 months - he is holding steady at 22lbs. Which by the WHO charts puts him at 50% - fine with me!!

I agree feeding them junk just to make them gain weight doesn't sound like sound advice.
    I heard somebody say their doctor told them to serve cereal with melted butter on top..
    and that pedishure is nothing but sugar and oil... uck uck uck.....