Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OBGYN recommended weaning before I get pregnant. Not sure.

Default Re: OBGYN recommended weaning before I get pregnant. Not sure.

I agree with everything already said. I nursed DS throughout my entire pregnancy with DD. In fact they both are still nursing

It can be overwhelming at times but it is so sweet at times also. Honestly, I'd just play it by ear and see how you do. Most kids your son's age will wean during the pregnancy anyway so if that happens then you don't have to force anything on him. If he doesn't you can use that time to establish limits so he's used to them when the baby comes.

Good luck to you either way!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I just wanted to add that when I weaned my daughter I had my period twice in one month (full blown) and hormones so crazy that I weaned her completely right away (she was ready) and didn't want to hang onto any nursing sessions. I *think* that weaning induced about a week to 10 days of depression/bad mood/PMS like symptoms - they went away after my milk dried up and my second period ended. Hopefully, you won't experience this in addition to your other challenges. It sounds reasonable to keep nursing and let your son lead the way! I found that the most peaceful/least stressful route for us.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Thanks again ladies! I appreciate the reponses & encouragement!!

We are going to play by ear as that seems least stressful for all involved! It is so sweet and I know it will be over soon enough without me orchestrating it.