Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast milk for 4 year-old

Default breast milk for 4 year-old

I BF my son for 3.5 years and then he weaned himself once I was into the second trimester with my daughter. Now that my daughter is born I have plenty of milk and I thought I will give some pumped BM to my son to boost his immune system. He is going to preschool and gets sick a lot during winter so the BM should protect him (and the baby at home who will have to be exposed to the germs if her brother gets sick). It's been about a month that I started giving my son about 4oz of EBM a day. Yesterday I realized he looked really big and measured his height and I was shocked to see he grew an inch in a month!!! He is 4 so he is not at the 5 year growth spurt point yet. Here is my question: we know that BM contains lots of age-appropriate growth hormones. Is it possible that the BM designed for a 6 week old is not good for a 4 year old? Too much growth hormones? Am I doing harm more than good?

Default Re: breast milk for 4 year-old

I honestly don't think you can ever go wrong giving breast milk. Think of all the hormones that are in everything else he eats. Unless of course you are feeding locally grown and organic foods. It's probably the extra fat that he is getting. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Breastmilk is a superior food. Don't take it away from him unless you WANT to be done.

I've been giving my almost 3 year old EBM that I have pumped while nursing my baby. I was actually hoping that he would pack on some weight since he's super skinny but he hasn't gained much. He's been suer healthy, but he usually is anyway.

My FIL is a pediatrician and he told me boys have growth spurts in the summer. Maybe that's what's up? I don't know if there is any truth to that theory...
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I gave DD1 breastmilk that I had pumped for about 7 mths and she gained almost 11 lbs in between her 2 and 3 yr checkup. I am sure that is the reason and I feel a bit bad about it, she had only gained 5 lbs between 1 and 2 yrs which is apparently more normal. Maybe it is too much fat but I still give her the leftovers (just not every day), which is any frozen milk that is getting close to the expiration date and I am still pumping enough for DD2.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

I think you should definitely continue to give it to him, if that's what you want to do. The benefits IMO, far outweigh any possible "risks" as far as hormone levels.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

No More good than harm. NO HARM. ALL GOOD. Don't stop! My son grew 5inches this spring. I didn't stop breastfeeding him until June. Breastmilk does a 4 year old GOOD.

Way too lazy for formula

for the PP's. I don't have the benefit of speaking from personal experience but everything previously stated holds true in the reading research I've done. Can't beat hands-on hlep though. Keep up the good work.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

For sure if he will take it give it. Sure is better than cow's milk. YUCK! DS2 was almost 4 yo when he weaned and since then he has went from a plump little guy to a skinny little guy at almost 9 yo. he is still only 47-50 lbs and he will be 9 at the end of Nov. If he would take EBM now I would give it to him but he won't. I did sneak some into decaf tea when he had H1N1 last year tho. I swear that is what kept him from getting horribly ill from that flu. Everyone said it was a horrible flu to have and it seemed pretty mild to him even though it lasted 3-4 days his fever never got over 101.5. He coughed his poor little head off though.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

He grew another inch since I last wrote I sure am glad that I am giving him the BM and here is why. A couple of days ago he pulled an unwashed piece of lettuce from the kitchen counter and ate it before I realized what he was doing. You can imagine my panic with all the potentially e-coli infested poopy lettuce in his stomach. I doubled the amount of BM I am giving him and so far no sign of illness, hopefully it'll stay that way. In his pediatrician's words we "coat that gut with all the antibodies to prevent infection." Being able to give your children (at any age) something that is so good is such an incredible feeling though. I hope I can continue doing it for both of my kids and thank you all so much for the support.