Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrush at 15 months?

Default thrush at 15 months?

So I am still nursing my 15 month old son and recently nursing started to hurt - a lot! my nipples are really sore, and i thought it was just because AF was coming, but then I noticed that DS has ulcers in his mouth and on his tongue. we had thrush before when he was 9 months old, so I am thinking maybe we have it again - but the pediatrician said that thrush is not common in older babies (toddlers). last time he had it, it was white patches on his cheeks and tongue - so I am wondering if thrush also shows up as ulcers? and ever in nursing toddlers as opposed to babies? neither one of us has been on antibiotics recently either?

thanks for the help!

Default Re: thrush at 15 months?

Anyone can get thrush, it is just an overgrowth of yeast in the mouth. I have never had to deal with it though. I don't think it shows up like ulcers.

Could it be "hand, foot, and mouth disease"? It's really common in children and causes mouth ulcers? I don't think it causes sore nipples but it could be affecting his latch which would cause sore nipples? I don't know, but it sounds very unpleasant, and I hope you figure it out!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yup - you were right! DS had hand, foot and mouth (for the 3rd time - UGH!) and his latch was off which is what caused my nips to hurt!

Thanks for your help in figuring this out!