Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding foster babies?

Default Re: Breastfeeding foster babies?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to breastfeed foster babies. I have read it somewhere but I can't remember where...

ETA - I guess it depends on the agency. I don't think you can here.
    Not allowed in TX.

ETA: breast *feeding* is not allowed. breast *milk*, though, i believe is not specifically prohibited.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I am guessing that breastfeeding by a foster parent wouldn't be allowed in my state either (but I'm going to try looking it up ). I asked a friend of mine who used to be a social worker for DHS, and she said that it had never come up that she knew of, but that her thought was that it wouldn't be allowed, because the child's mother would have the "right" of breastfeeding/pumping for the baby unless parental rights were terminated and permanent placement was being pursued. As PP said, I'm guessing it depends on agency as well.

The other thing would be it's a bodily fluid, and I would think the foster care system would have a lot of responsibility if a foster mom was to pass on a disease, in this manner. But, not at ALL saying you have a disease. And I'm not against donated milk, in the least either etc. I would just think that the Foster Care system would be scared of a law suit if such happened. But, they said it was ok, so that's good.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    The other thing would be it's a bodily fluid, and I would think the foster care system would have a lot of responsibility if a foster mom was to pass on a disease, in this manner. But, not at ALL saying you have a disease. And I'm not against donated milk, in the least either etc. I would just think that the Foster Care system would be scared of a law suit if such happened. But, they said it was ok, so that's good.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hi Winni

It's a fair while after you posted this but I was really hoping to find out how you went. My husband & I have been accepted as carers in Sydney & we have been discussing the same thing with the agency. We were hoping to find places where it had been done or any help at all.

I look forward to hearing from you.

thanks very much

Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*winni View Post
    Hi all,

I just became a licensed foster parent, so no babies yet. I am, however, the mother of 5 children already, and I nursed them all very successfully.

When I asked the person in charge at our foster agency if breastfeeding foster babies was allowed, she said no one had ever asked her that . She said there was definitely no rule against it, and that it would probably depend on the birth mother.

My husband and I are Christians and are believing that if God wants me to nurse any baby that He brings to me, that He will make it permissible for me to do so.

So...I'm "preparing for rain" (see "Facing The Giants" movie) and plan to purchase a Lack-Aid Nursing Trainer (unless someone has a better idea).

I'd love to hear any advice, input, etc. about this! Also, any advocacy I can show to the DHHS in my area on the benefits of breastfeeding (especially possible drug affected babies) would be great! I plan to bottle feed as well, so that if/when babies move on (but we'd love to adopt!) they won't be traumatized over not being able to nurse anymore.

Thanks!