Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep = Yay!, Supply = Problems?

Default Sleep = Yay!, Supply = Problems?

Hello Everyone,

My daughter is 7 months old now, and is still exclusively breastfed. I've tried solids, but she's just not interested. She spits them out, make faces, pushes my hand away. My wonderful, supportive pediatrician says that up to 1 year, solids are about new tastes and oral skills, and that breastmilk should be the majority of her diet.

Here's the second component of my dilemna: I've recently gotten my daughter to sleep more at night. (Hooray for Elizabeth Pantley's "No-Cry Sleep Solution"!) Last night she slept from 9 pm until 5 am, when she woke up ready to eat. She hasn't done that since she was 4 months old.

When she was 4 months old, I wasn't worried about long sleep stretches causing a supply drop during the day, because she was still so small and not so active. But now I am worried. If she sleeps for a long time at night, I know that I will adjust and produce less at night. But what about during the daytime? Will I produce enough? Will my daughter still be getting enough to eat, now that she's 7 months, crawling and standing and playing hard all day?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights you have for me.

Default Re: Sleep = Yay!, Supply = Problems?

I too have a 7 month old daughter who has started sleeping 7-8 hours at night. It doesn't seem to have affected my daytime supply-she nurses like a champ during the day, so I believe that's what keeps my supply up. I generally nurse her every few hours from teh time she gets up till she goes to bed, even if the session doesn't last that long and is more for her comfort than for real nutition!!!

My son is 8 1/2 months old and has been sleeping from 8PM 'till 6-7 Am since about 6 months. (occasionaly nursing once a night barring teething) and I have never noticed a problem with my supply during the day. Even that once in a while night nurse is never a problem.

My LO has slept through the night since about 2 months. I do pump right before I go to bed (not for supply reasons) simply because I will wake up uncomfortably full in the a.m. Your body will always adjust to your LO's schedule.

As far as solids, your LO just might not be interested yet. Wait a week then try it again. Not sure on exact dates, but around 6 months I began trying small things and my LO would not open his mouth for the spoon at all. Just a couple weeks later he could not get enough of the new tastes.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet