Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek and Alfalfa

Default Re: Fenugreek and Alfalfa

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama;1010979
    Check out this chart, you'll see how it starts to slow at around 6 months. You're doing ok mama. :hug:hug

[IMG
    http://www.kellymom.com/images/growth/growth-bfboy.gif[/IMG]

18 oz during the day does sound like a lot. Maybe talk to your daycare provider about distraction techniques or something. I know that there is an article somewhere (I looked and will try to find it or maybe if another mama happens by they can post it) because I know at least with my little guy, he would take a bottle full of however much was in it whenever I put it in front of him. Hey, it's free food that he doesn't have to work for....why not?

Here is some info from kellymom about if it seems baby is taking in too much milk when mama is away from here

mama.
    It isn't just at daycare though. I seriously think I have been starving the poor guy. I have been visiting and posting to the forum faithfully and have tried all the advice about the possibility of him over eating/being over fed but I just think he is a big eater. I know he is hungry and I try to keep him at the breast as long as possible but it never amounts for more than five minutes. He fights, squirms and screams. Like I said, he'll nurse for a few minutes and I hear swallowing but then it stops then he pulls off, screams, latches, pulls off, screams and repeat. When I finally give him a bottle of formula, I can hear it going into his belly and it growls. I am using Avent nipple #2 and he is having to work for the formula, he sucks so hard his cheeks indent!

I actually started to dread the weekends because on weekends he seems inconsolable. I nurse him but he ends up doing the thing I described before. He won't eat solids for me, isn't satisfied with his pacifier, sleeps for only 20 minutes at a time when he use to sleep for at least an hour. He is just a very cranky boy. After having an absolutely miserable Saturday this past weekend, Sunday I decided no more! I nursed him at our usual time of 6am, he did his usual suck, pull off scream thing so I marched downstairs and made him a 6oz bottle of formula. The boy was in heaven, or so it seemed. After he sucked that down he rolled over and crawled off to play. He was so much more content and happy (so was mommy and daddy). So that is what we did the rest of the day. I would nurse him until he signaled he was not getting any more then I would make a bottle. BTW, when I pump I pump for 15 minutes and this is well after anything has been coming out. By the time 15 minutes is up absolutely NOTHING is coming out, not a even a drop! I imagine this is what is happening when he nurses too.

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Little angel 01/05/09 who is now in heaven
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

and until current LO was 9 1/2 months. Not ing at the moment due to pregnancy but will as soon as new LO gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post

How much are you pumping at work mama? How much is your LO taking during the day? How much fennel are you taking? Fennel is a strange one because although fennel does help with letdown, too much fennel actually inhibits supply...so be careful with how much you take.

One thing that helped me was power pumping when I got home. So for one hour I would pump 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off. Always right about the same time. After about 4 or 5 days of that I saw an increase in my evening production that helped a lot. But you can power pump really whenever you want. Also you can really ramp up nursing sessions on the weekends, spend a lot of time skin to skin...that sort of thing.

Don't feel like a failure mama. I had to supplement for a short period of time as well. But I got through it. And I made it almost 2 years. You can do it.
    I am only pumping about 10ozs while at work. My LO is taking in four 6 to 8oz bottles of 1/2 BM 1/2 formula bottles. I have only taken the fennel once today and when I did I only took two 450mg capsules. Tried the power pumping but it did not help at all.

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

and until current LO was 9 1/2 months. Not ing at the moment due to pregnancy but will as soon as new LO gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beckym View Post
    It isn't just at daycare though. I seriously think I have been starving the poor guy. I have been visiting and posting to the forum faithfully and have tried all the advice about the possibility of him over eating/being over fed but I just think he is a big eater. I know he is hungry and I try to keep him at the breast as long as possible but it never amounts for more than five minutes. He fights, squirms and screams. Like I said, he'll nurse for a few minutes and I hear swallowing but then it stops then he pulls off, screams, latches, pulls off, screams and repeat. When I finally give him a bottle of formula, I can hear it going into his belly and it growls. I am using Avent nipple #2 and he is having to work for the formula, he sucks so hard his cheeks indent!

I actually started to dread the weekends because on weekends he seems inconsolable. I nurse him but he ends up doing the thing I described before. He won't eat solids for me, isn't satisfied with his pacifier, sleeps for only 20 minutes at a time when he use to sleep for at least an hour. He is just a very cranky boy. After having an absolutely miserable Saturday this past weekend, Sunday I decided no more! I nursed him at our usual time of 6am, he did his usual suck, pull off scream thing so I marched downstairs and made him a 6oz bottle of formula. The boy was in heaven, or so it seemed. After he sucked that down he rolled over and crawled off to play. He was so much more content and happy (so was mommy and daddy). So that is what we did the rest of the day. I would nurse him until he signaled he was not getting any more then I would make a bottle. BTW, when I pump I pump for 15 minutes and this is well after anything has been coming out. By the time 15 minutes is up absolutely NOTHING is coming out, not a even a drop! I imagine this is what is happening when he nurses too.
    I don't think that you're starving him mama. It really sounds as if something else is going on.

Has he been checked for reflux? Does he seem sensitive to foods you eat?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

what is his diaper output? Is it just the reaction and plateau on weight gain that leads you to believe he's not getting enough? I ask just because the oz seem like a lot and some of the reaction you mention may also be from over feeding.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I don't think that you're starving him mama. It really sounds as if something else is going on.

Has he been checked for reflux? Does he seem sensitive to foods you eat?
    He doesn't show any signs of reflux and has never shown any signs of being sensitive to the foods I eat either. His 9 month well child visit it next week and will definitely be talking to his doc about his eating habits. I just hope he doesn't do what he usually does and tells me not to worry when ever I express concern. As a mama, how do you not worry???? I think we all worry, don't we? That is part of being a mama, right?

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

what about solids? Is he also eating any veggies or fruits?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    what is his diaper output? Is it just the reaction and plateau on weight gain that leads you to believe he's not getting enough? I ask just because the oz seem like a lot and some of the reaction you mention may also be from over feeding.
    Before I gave in and started giving him formula he was almost never wet when at home with me. He would sleep for 12 hours and his diaper would barely be damp.

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

and now?
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    and now?
    And now the number of wet diapers seem more normal to me. After sleeping through the night for 12 hours he is soaked! During the day he has about 4-6 wet diapers.

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beckym View Post
    He doesn't show any signs of reflux and has never shown any signs of being sensitive to the foods I eat either. His 9 month well child visit it next week and will definitely be talking to his doc about his eating habits. I just hope he doesn't do what he usually does and tells me not to worry when ever I express concern. As a mama, how do you not worry???? I think we all worry, don't we? That is part of being a mama, right?
    My mom told me that...once you become a mama, for the rest of your life all you do is worry.

I totally get it mama. I don't have much experience with reflux at all, I don't even know if that for sure is what refluxy babies do, but to me it sounds like something else other than being "starving." If his wet and poppy diapers are fine then he is getting enough to eat. Let yourself relax and get back to the basics.

Is he teething? Maybe a growth spurt? It may be that he has gotten used to the faster flow of the bottles (cause let's face it, even a #2 is probably faster than the breast). Here's some more info from kellymom about other reasons baby might be fussy. Maybe one of them will jump out at you and then you can work at getting those issues addressed and get him back to the breast.

Oh, and the pump is nowhere near and indicator of your supply when breastfeeding. So if you are only pumping say 1oz, don't automatically assume that is all baby is getting at the breast. Our bodies can respond very poorly to the pump and it is not a good judge of production.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?