Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek and Alfalfa

Default Fenugreek and Alfalfa

I am looking to increase my pumping output for when I am work. I am thinking of taking Alfalfa and Fenugreek together. Anyone try this combination??? Is it weird if they start smelling like maple syrup???

Anyone have side effects from either?

Default Re: Fenugreek and Alfalfa

I used both together with good results. And they say that when you smell like maple syrup the fenugreek is really starting to work. I just rolled with smelling like pancakes for a while! Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

The "Maple Syrup" smell means that you're taking enough! Keep it up!

Anyone else notice that you sweat more when you take the Fenugreek?

Sweat more???? Oh boy -- I hope not!

I am taking 2 tablets of Alfalfa and 2 capsules of Fenugreek 3 times a day. Do you think that is enough?????

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*susieq8181 View Post
    I am taking 2 tablets of Alfalfa and 2 capsules of Fenugreek 3 times a day. Do you think that is enough?????
    Do you have that maple syrup smell? Have you seen this website? It will have info on recommended amounts if I remember correctly.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Out of desperation I just started taking Fenugreek, Alfalfa, Fennel and Blessed Thistle. My DS is 9 months old. My goal was to make it to 6 months but now I want to go to at least 1 year if not 2 years but my milk supply has decreased drastically since returning to work and then my DS started STTN at 6 months and to top it all off my period came back when he started STTN. I have not been able to keep up with his demand so I started supplementing with formula and I feel like such a failure. It kills me to have to give him formula

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Little angel 01/05/09 who is now in heaven
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

and until current LO was 9 1/2 months. Not ing at the moment due to pregnancy but will as soon as new LO gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beckym View Post
    Out of desperation I just started taking Fenugreek, Alfalfa, Fennel and Blessed Thistle. My DS is 9 months old. My goal was to make it to 6 months but now I want to go to at least 1 year if not 2 years but my milk supply has decreased drastically since returning to work and then my DS started STTN at 6 months and to top it all off my period came back when he started STTN. I have not been able to keep up with his demand so I started supplementing with formula and I feel like such a failure. It kills me to have to give him formula

How much are you pumping at work mama? How much is your LO taking during the day? How much fennel are you taking? Fennel is a strange one because although fennel does help with letdown, too much fennel actually inhibits supply...so be careful with how much you take.

One thing that helped me was power pumping when I got home. So for one hour I would pump 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off. Always right about the same time. After about 4 or 5 days of that I saw an increase in my evening production that helped a lot. But you can power pump really whenever you want. Also you can really ramp up nursing sessions on the weekends, spend a lot of time skin to skin...that sort of thing.

Don't feel like a failure mama. I had to supplement for a short period of time as well. But I got through it. And I made it almost 2 years. You can do it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I am pumping every 2 to 3 hours while at work. I only get 2-3 ounces when I pump and that is not near enought. Believe it or not but my DS is taking in 18+ ounces during the day while at daycare (mixture of BM and formula). He is eating solids too. Women on the forum have told he is eating too much but he is not happy unless he gets enough to eat. He has hardly gained any weight since his 6 month appt and in my opinion is skinny, he only weighs 18lbs. When I nurse him, I nurse him on both sides. I switch sides when he lets me know he isn't getting anymore (arches his back and screams, latches on, sucks, pulls off, screams, repeat). After nursing both sides, I then make him a bottle of formula and he takes 6ozs. He sits on the floor and waves his hand at the sight of the bottle. He is somewhat patient while I am warming it up but only if I hold him and we watch the pan of water with the bottle in it. He looks at it, then looks at me as if to ask "Are you going to give me that thing or what?!?"

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Little angel 01/05/09 who is now in heaven
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

and until current LO was 9 1/2 months. Not ing at the moment due to pregnancy but will as soon as new LO gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beckym View Post
    I am pumping every 2 to 3 hours while at work. I only get 2-3 ounces when I pump and that is not near enought. Believe it or not but my DS is taking in 18+ ounces during the day while at daycare (mixture of BM and formula). He is eating solids too. Women on the forum have told he is eating too much but he is not happy unless he gets enough to eat. He has hardly gained any weight since his 6 month appt and in my opinion is skinny, he only weighs 18lbs. When I nurse him, I nurse him on both sides. I switch sides when he lets me know he isn't getting anymore (arches his back and screams, latches on, sucks, pulls off, screams, repeat). After nursing both sides, I then make him a bottle of formula and he takes 6ozs. He sits on the floor and waves his hand at the sight of the bottle. He is somewhat patient while I am warming it up but only if I hold him and we watch the pan of water with the bottle in it. He looks at it, then looks at me as if to ask "Are you going to give me that thing or what?!?"
    I have been right where you are mama....probably almost every mama has. Keep in mind, it is pretty common for growth to plateau very significantly around 6 months or so because baby become more mobile. When they start moving around more, rolling, crawling, pulling up, they are burning so many more calories and you won't see those jumps on the growth chart that you are used to. I freaked out the first time but then I saw it was completely normal.

Check out this chart, you'll see how it starts to slow at around 6 months. You're doing ok mama.

18 oz during the day does sound like a lot. Maybe talk to your daycare provider about distraction techniques or something. I know that there is an article somewhere (I looked and will try to find it or maybe if another mama happens by they can post it) because I know at least with my little guy, he would take a bottle full of however much was in it whenever I put it in front of him. Hey, it's free food that he doesn't have to work for....why not?

Here is some info from kellymom about if it seems baby is taking in too much milk when mama is away from here

If your baby is taking substantially more than the average amounts, consider the possibility that baby is being given too much milk while you are away. Things that can contribute to overfeeding include:

* Fast flow bottles. Always use the lowest flow bottle nipple that baby will tolerate.
    * Using bottle feeding as the primary way to comfort baby. Some well-meaning caregivers feed baby the bottle every time he makes a sound. Use the calculator above to estimate the amount of milk that baby needs, and start with that amount. If baby still seems to be hungry, have your caregiver first check to see whether baby will settle with walking, rocking, holding, etc. before offering another ounce or two.
    * Baby's need to suck. Babies have a very strong need to suck, and the need may be greater while mom is away (sucking is comforting to baby). A baby can control the flow of milk at the breast and will get minimal milk when he mainly needs to suck. When drinking from a bottle, baby gets a larger constant flow of milk as long as he is sucking. If baby is taking large amounts of expressed milk while you are away, you might consider encouraging baby to suck fingers or thumb, or consider using a pacifier for the times when mom is not available, to give baby something besides the bottle to satisfy his sucking needs.
    mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel