Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Hate Af

Default I Hate Af

For the last few months AF has not seemed to have much effect on my milk supply. It was also on time, (it is usually really off)! But not this month, my period is due today, but has yet to show up, and I can't pump hardly any milk for the baby! Usually I would send 4 oz to daycare for her, today I only got 1.5 oz. THIS SUCKS!

SO what do ya think, back on the Fenugreek?

Default Re: I Hate Af

This resource suggests a calcium supplement around your cycle to help with supply:

For some women, the drop in milk supply and nipple tenderness associated with menstruation becomes more of a challenge. An effective treatment for these symptoms associated with the return of periods is to add a calcium/magnesium supplement to the diet upon ovulation and continue it through the second or third day of a period. The supplement should be 1500 calcium/750 magnesium but can be as low as 500 calcium/250 magnesium (the higher the dosage the more effective and quicker the results). It should be a combination pill. This much calcium should never be taken alone. If your cycles are not regular and you do not know when you ovulate, you can take the supplement the entire month until you begin to see a pattern to your flow. This type of supplement seems to work as it prevents the drop in blood calcium levels which occurs mid-cycle and continues through the second to third day of a period. It is this drop which is associated with the nipple tenderness and drop in milk supply as well as the uterine cramping so often experienced with menstruation. You only need to take one pill a day.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon