Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!

Exclamation Help!!

yesturday I had a really high fever and my left breast was very sore but I couldn't feel any lumps or hotspots or redness but when I went to bed there was redness and then this morning it is soooo sore and hard so I'm thinking it might be mastitis but I don't know if it's that or something else. what are somethings i can do to help it. (i've been trying to nurse more on that side but my ds doesn't seem to want to nurse on that side and just cries and fusses a bit). does mastitis affect your supply at all? any addvice or info would be REALLY appriciated. TIA

Default Re: Help!!

Yes, it definitely sounds like mastitis. Since you have a fever and it doesn't seem to be getting better, I'd recommend calling your doctor right away. You probably need antibiotic treatment. The antibiotics generally help you to start feeling better very quickly. In addition, make sure to go to bed and rest. Nurse frequently on the affected breast-at least every two hours. If baby isn't interested in nursing that often then you should try to pump or hand express. You want to try to keep the breast drained. Before each feeding, apply some heat to the sore area and do some gentle massage. Start behind the sore area, and use gentle circular motions moving through the sore area to your nipple. Some women do report a bit of a drop in supply, and I'm not sure what causes that. However, it should rebound if you keep nursing frequently. Hope you are feeling better soon!

thanks for the help! I was hoping to not have to go on antibiotics but i guess i may have to. thankfully my fever is down quite a bit today so at least i don't feel as sick as i did yesturday.

I have to agree with pp-sounds like mastitis and see your doc ASAP. REST is so important, and feeding off that side as much as you can. If it is engorged, that could be contributing to your LO's problems nursing on that side-try had expression or pumping a bit to soften it up.
    Heat and massage are good just prior and during feeding/expressing/pumping. I also found that heat+water did wonders for me. I would take a hot bath or shower before BFing/pumping and that helped a lot. (I actually hand expressed and even pumped with my manual pump while in the bathtub.)
    I hope you are feeling better soon!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on