Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump one side or both?!

Default pump one side or both?!

At home I nurse on demand which ends up being every 2-3hrs during the day at night LO sleeps for 6hrs I nurse him right before bed, within a few hours I wake up with FULL breasts but he is still out like a light! At the end of the 6hrs he wakes and then its back to every 2-3hrs. He nurses on just one side per session, I've tried to offer him the other side but he refuses.

When I am at work should I continue with that pattern and only pump one side every 2-3hrs or should I be pumping both sides each session while I am at work??

Default Re: pump one side or both?!

i always pump both sides simultaneously at work, regardless of whether he eats from one or both sides. maybe some folks with lots of milk do differently, just I have to pump both sides just to keep up with the amount of milk my LO eats while i'm gone.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I highly recommend that full-time working mother pump both sides at once, and here's my reasoning: (1) Most women get more milk total if they pump both sides at once, because it gives the nipples "extra stimulation"; this is good because real nursing generally stimulates more than pumping; (2) This allows most women to space pumpings slightly farther apart than they would nursing. If you pump both sides, you can probably get away with pumping every 3-4 hours rather than every 2. Win/win.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I highly recommend that full-time working mother pump both sides at once, and here's my reasoning: (1) Most women get more milk total if they pump both sides at once, because it gives the nipples "extra stimulation"; this is good because real nursing generally stimulates more than pumping; (2) This allows most women to space pumpings slightly farther apart than they would nursing. If you pump both sides, you can probably get away with pumping every 3-4 hours rather than every 2. Win/win.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you!
    BUT, if you can pump more often than 3-4hrs DO IT! Especially at first when you don't know if what you can pump at work will be enough for the sitter and so you can build up a stash for low supply times or growth spurts.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    BUT, if you can pump more often than 3-4hrs DO IT! Especially at first when you don't know if what you can pump at work will be enough for the sitter and so you can build up a stash for low supply times or growth spurts.
    Yep! Start out more frequently, and then adjust as you settle into your routine. Women's "storage capacity" varies, and if you store less milk, you need to pump more, but you'll get a sense for yours in no time.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks so much...that really does help ease my worries if i'm doing the right things or not!

This topic is interesting to me since I'm struggling with pumping both sides. For some reason, I rarely produce milk when doing both sides at once. I don't know if this is because my LO eats on one side or something is wrong with my pump or how I'm holding the pump, or if there's another reason.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    This topic is interesting to me since I'm struggling with pumping both sides. For some reason, I rarely produce milk when doing both sides at once. I don't know if this is because my LO eats on one side or something is wrong with my pump or how I'm holding the pump, or if there's another reason.
    Are you using a double pump? That works for some moms, however I've always found that pumping one side and then the others is better for me. You're also still on leave right? You may get more when you're back at work.

With my first LO, I had some over production and was able to pump quiet a bit while still on leave. With my second LO, I didn't get a significant amount pumping until I went back to work.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I am using a double pump. I'm still on leave --back to work next week. I actually pumped both sides last night at 3 am. Not the best time but I got 2 oz on 1 side and 1 oz on the other.

When at work, sometimes I'll pump the "unused" side only for my first pumping session, then pump both sides for my next pumping session. I have more milk in the morning, and can usually get a single bottle's worth from pumping just one side for that session. I've had issues with oversupply, so I don't like to overstimulate my breasts if I don't need to.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.