Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a new pump? not emptying breasts

Default Re: Do I need a new pump? not emptying breasts

Thanks for all the replies! I'm frustrated again this morning. i only got 9oz last night (3oz per seesion). which is fine if that's what I get-I'll learn to accept it. But when I got home and pumped with my little evenflo comfort select, i got 5oz and still going, so I know there's more in there! i've been playing around with flange size without any measurable difference. On the whole I'm more relaxed about pumping at work than I was in the beginnig. I just don't know what's going on!
    breastfeeding my sweet baby boy and pumping at work.

birth-6lbs 9oz
    2 days-6lbs-they almost made us supplement!
    2wks-7lbs 8oz!
    4wks-9lbs 3 oz
    8wks-11lbs, 10 oz
    4months-14lbs, 4oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    No problem! Without the extra flanges this pump would not work for me. It was someone on here that actually gave me this link. I can't remember who though. But it was a lifesaver for me. My only other option would have been using my single pump and doing one side at a time.
    It might have been me. I use the Pumping Pals shields and recommend them often.

The only other thought that I had is that you might try renting a pump for a month and seeing if your output is different. If you're getting a lot more from a hospital-grade rental pump (like a LOT more), that may point you in the direction of buying a new pump. You'll probably do better with the hospital pump, but if it's dramatic, then you can either stick with the rental or buy something different.

I agree that it seems like my body doesn't respond as well to the pump over the months that I've been using it, or possibly the pump is wearing down. I don't have as much luck with hand expressing, though.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Do you think there is possibly something wrong with the pump? I used mine for about 6? months when it began losing suction. On mine, the strength of the suction would go in and out and the sound of the motor was different than it had been. The company sent me a new pump, no hassles. If you think it may be a defect, definitely call them before you buy a new pump.

For me, 3 oz per session was pretty average once my supply stabilized. Also, I definitely got different amount depending on the time of day. So (possibly) comparing the amount that you get at work to what you get at home at a different time of day may not be an 'equal' comparision.

I have been thinking perhaps it is no longer functioning properly-the suction can go in and out sometimes like you said-but I've only had it for 3 months!
    breastfeeding my sweet baby boy and pumping at work.

birth-6lbs 9oz
    2 days-6lbs-they almost made us supplement!
    2wks-7lbs 8oz!
    4wks-9lbs 3 oz
    8wks-11lbs, 10 oz
    4months-14lbs, 4oz

If that is the case, I would call the Lansinoh customer service. It should not be doing that. There is a 1 yr warranty, so I take that to mean that the motor should be running strong for at least a year. In my experience, they were very nice; just asked for a brief description of the problem, the serial number on the bottom of the pump, if I had tried replacing the valves, and had me test a few things. Then I had to send them the pump (and all of the other parts) back and as soon as they rec'd it they overnight mailed me a whole new pump setup (bottles, flanges, etc.).