Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a new pump? not emptying breasts

Default Do I need a new pump? not emptying breasts

I have a Lansinoh double electric. (not affinity). Baby is 14wks. I work night shift, 11p-7a. I pump 3 times each night-usually 12 or 1230, 230 or 3, and 430 or 5a. I feed baby before I leave at 9/930pm and when I get home at 830/9am. When I went back to work 6 weeks ago I was getting between 4-6oz per session after 10 minutes of pumping. About 2wks ago that went down to 3-4oz per session. i still feel like my breasts are full, but not engorged, just not as soft as after baby nurses. I compress as best I can without touching my boobs too much (I'm a germ freak) during pumping. I try to relax, but I do get stressed out at work/nervous about pumping enough, but that's not new to the past 2 weeks. last night I pumped for 20minutes at one session instead of 10 with MAYBE another 1/2oz to show for it (so, 4.5oz total, had around 4 at 10minutes). When I got home this am I fed baby, then pumped the other side with my Evenflo ComfortSelect single, and got 2oz with breast compression/massage. i could still hand express milk after pumping with the comfort select, even though during pumping no more milk was coming out, even with compressions. but I need to get to sleep so I didn't hand express alot, I basically wanted to see if I could. Breast that I pumped feels fuller than breast baby nursed from. Definitely still milk in there. So my question is do I need a better pump? Money is tight but I would pick up an extra shift or something if that's what I need to keep my supply up. I am bound and determined to breastfeed for at least a year.

Sorry for typos-I'm tired!
    breastfeeding my sweet baby boy and pumping at work.

birth-6lbs 9oz
    2 days-6lbs-they almost made us supplement!
    2wks-7lbs 8oz!
    4wks-9lbs 3 oz
    8wks-11lbs, 10 oz
    4months-14lbs, 4oz

Default Re: Do I need a new pump? not emptying breasts

i never get as empty from pumping as i do when my baby's nursing. And I'm always able to hand express more after i finish pumping.

I was trying to figure out a way to switch it up too, because I think you just stop responding as well to the pump over time. i pumped last night (i have a medela PISA) three hours after i fed him and got NOTHING. I almost cried!! Then i hand expressed and got over three ounces. It's weird.

I wonder if you can try more hand expressing at the end (I do get the tired thing!) I don't think I would rush out and get a new pump though...

I will say that the majority of my milk that's going to come out is out within ten minutes when pumping. I Stop using the pump at that point and switch to hands if i feel like i haven't emptied enough.

Also, the amount that i pump at work has gone down pretty significantly over time.... it's frustrating.

It sounds like you're pumping plenty of times in that time period, and 12? ounces is quite a bit of milk to get!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I would change out the little valves. I have the lansinoh also and I found that after about 4 months of use I had to change out the little rubber valves.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

For sure try the valves, and also I would probably try to always pump at least 15 minutes, but 20 is great.

There is no time when breast are completely empty, a baby or you should be able to express milk pretty much all the time. The pump though can only do so much. But, even after my babe has been on the boob for a hour, I can still hand express milk! You make milk ALL the time, the rate at which you make it depends on how empty you keep your breast. The more empty you keep them, the quicker your body will make it, the more full you keep them, the slower your body will make it, but either way you are always making milk, that's why even after pumping for a loooong time you will still get milk when you try with a baby or a hand to express some.

I was told though by my last LC you should always pump at least 15 minutes to keep up supply. I think it was also in the papers they sent home with me, but I can't remember.

Also don't get too scared about it dropping a little bit, in the beginning you are hormone driven, and many women will have a lot of milk no matter what they do. But, after a few weeks (up to 3 or 4 months) supply and demand takes over, your body has seen how much you pump/nurse and will start to go by those cues on how much it thinks it needs to make. That's why I think pumping 15 minutes is kind of important if you want to keep a higher amount of milk up, so it will make a bit more.

Any way, that's just my thoughts, I'm not a dr or anything.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I had a Lanisoh pump and mine has breast flanges/cups that do not come off. Is that the same with yours? It could be that you need a bigger flange size (as I did) and thus really do need to switch pumps.

But you should know that between .5-2 oz is average amount to pump per session (both breasts).
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I have the same pump. You can get bigger flanges for it. They stick inside the flanges that are there. I use these.

http://www.pumpinpal.com/html/super_shields.htm

I actually use the large on my left and the med on my right. I swell a lot when I pump and without the additional shield my nipple is actually touching the diaphragm at the end of the shield by the time I'm done.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Thanks for that info^ Woot! I asked around right after LO was born and was frustrated as heck (you know new mom syndrome). Going to check that out.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    Thanks for that info^ Woot! I asked around right after LO was born and was frustrated as heck (you know new mom syndrome). Going to check that out.
    No problem! Without the extra flanges this pump would not work for me. It was someone on here that actually gave me this link. I can't remember who though. But it was a lifesaver for me. My only other option would have been using my single pump and doing one side at a time.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

The Ameda website also sells different flange sizes that connect directly to the pump. The Lansinoh is the same as the Ameda double pump--Purely Yours?--just purple and rebranded. So any of the accessories or replacement parts for the Ameda will work. HTH.

The only warning I have about Ameda, even though I LOVE Amenda products. Is I have a Medela pump, but I like the Ameda flangs better. So I have always used Ameda flangs with my medela pump. Any way, out of literally probably at least 50 sets of flangs I've bought from them (many broke over time with use). About 6 months ago I bought a pair that had small holes in them, a manufacturer defect! It looked to me where they were probably molded and the people who take them apart from the molds accidentally didn't take them apart right, or just that one flange didn't come apart right, which ever, it came that way! When I called the first woman was going to send me a new one, even though she didn't really want to because I don't have a Ameda pump but a Medela. Some how we got disconnected when I called back the next lady said absolutely nothing they could do cause I was using a medela pump and not Ameda. EVEN though the flang had NEVER been used, and it was a manufacturer problem. Because I didn't have a pump she didn't have a number to put into the system and would not do it! The first lady was going to put some pump number in there that wasn't mine and get around that.

any way be prepared if you get a defective part from Ameda and are not using a Ameda pump they won't do anything for you. I was pretty upset as I've spent thousands of dollars literally on Ameda merchandise, and they wouldn't replace something that was manufacturer defect. the second lady said how would we know if you aren't using a Ameda pump that it wasn't something you did or Medela did to it, um because I didn't even use the part! Any way, needless to say that day I was pretty mad.

Still like their products though. Not so happy with their customer service and policies though. However, if I ever have to buy a pump again I may just buy a Ameda to by pass that problem. As it sounded like customer service would of been nice to me if I had had a Ameda pump.

I personally can't stand Medela's flangs, but the pump is good.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~