Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reclined Nursing

Default Reclined Nursing

My poor DS, 5 weeks, has such bad gas even the pedi. was amazed by the sound of his tummy. He is inconsoleable because of it at times. I believe I have OALD because my letdowns still hurt (sometimes a lot) and are immediate. DS choked all the time at first but has gotten better (usually only chokes 1 or 2 times per feed now) and gulps frantically.

I've seen posts talk about nursing in a reclined position where baby lays on top on mom. I can't envision this working for a young one without head control. Is that only for older babies?

Default Re: Reclined Nursing

DD is 6 weeks old and we do semi-reclined nursing. I don't lay flat on my back, but instead I lay propped up with either pillows or on a recliner. I position DD either directly on top of me or with her feet off to one side. in this position she has more control of the milk flow and can let it simply dribble out instead of gagging her. She has had a very good latch from day one and so far I am not sore. This position works well for us, but it would not have worked well with my son. When he was this young, his latch was weak and I was new to nursing with very sore nipples. You may have to simply experiment with different positions to see what works best for the two of you. It will get better as he grows and your supply levels out.

Hi mama and welcome! In addition to reclining haver you tried laying on your side and nursing maybe blocked feeding would help until your supply regulates, that's were you nurse from one side a few times then switch.i believe there is a thread in the over supply forum I would part a link but I'm using my phone and don't think I can sorry.i how this helps.
    I'm kat proud mama to 2 busy boys
    DS1 - 8/2/03
    DS2 -10/6/09

You can feed the baby being on one side, either on right, and not the baby on top, may be it helps

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrs-mog View Post
    I've seen posts talk about nursing in a reclined position where baby lays on top on mom. I can't envision this working for a young one without head control. Is that only for older babies?
    It's easier with older babies, but I sometimes managed it with my newborn. But leaning back was a lot easier.

Block feeding is what finally managed my oversupply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"