Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Serious nipple pain

Default Serious nipple pain

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this. Anyway, for the past few days I've had nipple pain on my left breast. Some days it's not too bad, other days it hurts like a b^&*^ to nurse. I checked B's mouth for any signs of thrush a few days ago, and not one spot. I woke up this morning with pain in my breast as well as my nipple (previous to today the pain was only during nursing). I checked B's mouth again, it looks completely clear. My nipple is pretty cracked, and one little crack has been bleeding a bit off and on.
    Does it sound like thrush, even though B has no symptoms? I still have some antibiotics for me and him (just a nipple ointment for me) from the last time we had this. Maybe I should just use those for a few days? I just hate to use them on B if he doesn't even have it.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: Serious nipple pain

could be thrush. I would get checked out by a doctor. APNO would be ok to use in the mean time I think. I wouldn't use straight antibiotics because killing the bacteria will just give the yeast room to grow if you don't use an antifugal too. If you do end up being diagnosed with thrush make sure your LO gets treated too because the yeast will be in LO mouth, it just might not be causing symptoms. He could reinfect you even if he doesn't have symptoms.

The medicine that you have...is it nystatin because that is an antifungal not an antibiotic. Also if it is thrush you want to treat for more than I few days. I would really get checked out by your doc.

sorry if this was rambling and makes not sense....I'm tired. Good luck

check out dr newmans site www.nbci.ca for more info
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Have you gotten AF yet? I ask because just a couple weeks ago, I was worried I had thrush and posted a thread about it, only to get my period a few days later, and realize, duh, it was nipple soreness caused by PMS, something women on this forum affirm is normal.

Also, could you be pregnant?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm not pregnant. And also yes, I have had AF, I actually just finished. So I don't think that's what it is, but

What a major PITA. I actually don't have a family doctor, so if we need to be seen, we have to go to a medicenter and wait (last time we had thrush, we waited about 2.5 hours--with both boys to be seen, although I was SURE that's what it was, so I knew it wasn't for nothing). And, we're going away on Saturday morning, so I don't think I'm gonna have a chance to go before then And yes, it's Nystatin that we have. It did the trick last time. I just hate to give it to him if he hasn't got thrush.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Well, if it's thrush, you could start with a milder treatment, like infant probiotic powder in your LO's mouth and on your nipples, vinegar washes, some over-the-counter clotriminazole ointment, etc. If you see an improvement, but not enough, you could then consider getting gentian violet, etc. But those milder treatments - they do no harm, the worst case is that they don't work, which would either indicate a very bad case of thrush, or possibly something other than thrush.

Honestly, I don't think Nystatin works that well anyway ...

Thrush causes very cracked nipples, so I think that could be it. If I thought I had thrush, I would start immediately with home treatment, and only see the doctor if it persisted over several days. Just my own strategy, though, many would say "get thee to a doctor!" I think it depends on your own history, etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

cracks bleeding OUCH.....

IT does sound like thrush.

Go to your Dr. and have them look at your nipples to check for an infection on the nipple. I was in severe pain, cracked nipples, and scabs. I thought it was thrush but my Dr. said my nipple was infected. Dr. put me on an oral antibiotic and I was healed in about 2 weeks. Go to your Dr. ASAP.