Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement? Clogged Duct?

Default Engorgement? Clogged Duct?

I pump most of the time because of work and since my baby turned 3months he has started to reject directly breastfeeding so I do have a hard time latching him on.

Since 2 days ago I had this pain in my right breast when I press on it. Usually when this happens, I just have my baby breastfeed and it would be ok. But I've tried warm compress, warm shower, breastfeeding(if I can make him breastfeed), massaging,pumping but the pain and hard area is still there. I only get little milk from that side when I pumped now because I assumed that the milk is stuck.

Is this a clogged milk duct? or considered an engorgement? There's no white spot on my nipple, no red area on my breast and there's no actual LUMP when I feel my breast, my right breast just feels harder (and has pain) than my left.

Will ibuprofen work? What does it actually do? Is it just a pain reliever or will it help with the inflammation?

I also got a fever the following day I felt the clogged duct/engorgement and today (3rd day), there's no more fever but my head hurts eventhough I've slept and rested the whole day.

What should I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm going to take ibruprofen now and see if that will help since I also have a headache. *sigh*
    Last edited by @llli*Orange.Karrot; September 2nd, 2010 at 06:00 AM.
    First time mom to Baby Boy S (May 10, 2010)
    After 1 and half months of purely bottle feeding my breastmilk, I'm no longer an EP'r!
    and now! Just trying to heal my blisters!!
    I can't wait for the day that I'll have so much milk, I'll fill our freezer!

Default Re: Engorgement? Clogged Duct?

with fever it could be mastitis and you may need a antibiotic.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    with fever it could be mastitis and you may need a antibiotic.
    Even if it's just one day of fever? It's also not painful to breastfeed and I have no rash. Btw, is it ok to give the milk to the baby if in case I have mastitis?

Today is day 4 and my boob still hurts when pressed. =(

No more fever and no more headache because of ibuprofen.

Still continuing to massage, hot shower, warm compress before each pump.

After 1 and half months of purely bottle feeding my breastmilk, I'm no longer an EP'r!

At this rate I might not be able to supply for my very hungry baby

Go to the dr, I wouldn't wait, I would go to the ER right now! If it's mastitis it needs attention right away. I personally never had fever with it, but had it any way. But, if it's not treated and you are a eper it could really effect your supply. So I would go right now. It's perfectly fine to give baby the milk though.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Yeah, it might be good to see your doctor, although I don't think you need to go to the ER unless you are experiencing VERY HIGH fever and flu symptoms.

If you don't have any fever at this point, then I would get in a hot tub several times a day, and massage the heck out of that sore spot. Then nurse, pump, nurse, and pump on that side. Try to keep that side as empty as possible. Nursing is better than pumping, but do what you can to empty the breast. Massage while you nurse or pump. You should feel it improving and loosening up after a day or two.

If you're not feeling better in a couple of days, or if you get a high fever (more than 102) go to a doctor and get antibiotics.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Over all I agree with you Joe's mom.

The only thing is, the first time I had it, I let it go for days cause I kept dismissing it as mastitis cause I wasn't feverish, or feeling fluish or sick at all. My breast was just hard and no milk would come out, and it did hurt a little but not excruciating. So I thought no way could it be this mastitis every one speaks of. Day three, thick thick green/yellow puss mixed with blood pumped out, not a lot as it was so thick, but still about a thumb size amount. And it felt like lightening was going through my breast while I pumped. (electric shocks!) I decided I better get some advice, I asked my mom she said it was for sure mastitis. Called me in a antibiotic, cleared up over night.

However.......since I was a EPer my supply took a huge hit and never did recover. I asked my mom if it would recover if I had another child, and she said she didn't know. That some women do and some don't. A hypothesis some doctors have, she said was that scar tissue builds up around the milk ducts and effects production for some people. But, that's just a hypothesis some drs have. She said we would never know how it would permanently effect my supply till I lactated the next time. Well, I have to say it has permenantly effected my supply. That used to be my largest producer, now it only produces about half of what it did before the mastitis. Since then I've had two more bouts of mastitis, I've never had flu like symptoms nor fever (I've also had one plugged duct, that was a totally different feeling, so I know it was really mastitis not a plugged duct) and I don't play with it no more. I get on ASAP now cause I don't want my production effected any more then it already has been.

BTW, I am probably a rare case. I have extremely high pain tolerance, and rarely feel pain related to any thing. I don't even know I'm in labor with the exception of breaking water, and feeling the baby move! But, I have absolutely pain free labor, and have had 3 children!

Time and again in my life, drs have not believed I wasn't in excruciating pain when they find out what's really wrong with me. Or the opposite people don't take me seriously that something is wrong, cause I'm not crying out in pain and then come to find out it's really really bad! Usually involves drs running in saying it's the worst they ever saw, why wasn't I screaming and saying more!?!?

So I've had to just come to the realization I'm not average, and even the least little thing odd, I have to have looked at, other wise things go far beyond what is healthy, because I don't feel the pain letting me know something is BAD wrong.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Jeez, that is nuts!! You would be a whiz at natural birth!! But anyway, when I had mastitis, I felt really sick, had a high fever, and my breasts were red and splotchy. Even then, I was able to get it under control and avoid antibiotics. I think you should take antibiotics if you have to, but I would avoid taking them if you don't, because they often lead to thrush, which is a whole other can o' worms.

However, you make a good point. I guess I would say, try massaging for a day, and if your milk starts flowing freely again, and the tenderness goes down, you're on the right track?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yeah, natural birth is no problem for me. It goes fast too, I guess cause I am relaxed since I don't feel the pain. One time I gave birth so fast, the dr screamed!! They weren't believing me I was in labor, even though I told them I was! Cause I wasn't screaming and crying. The nurse kept asking me if I was in pain. And I said no, but that doesn't mean anything, I didn't have any pain with DD1 either, so I am in labor even though I'm not in pain. I know this is labor (cause I remember that was exactly how I felt when I had DD1). any way she acted like she was believing me, but I guess she really didn't. Then the dr kept coming in and leaving saying he had other things to do/check on. Finally he decided to stay and said he was going to check me, and pulled back the sheet, and right at that exact moment the baby flew out! Literally! Thank goodness I was high up in the bed! The Dr barely caught! And the dr was literally screaming. And saying she just delivered, she just delivered! And the nurse kept saying there's no way, she said she wasn't in pain, why didn't you tell me you were in pain. Uh, cause I wasn't in pain, I told you that pain was not a indicator of labor for me, and that I was in labor! Other nurses actually came in to look at me and not believe it!

But, yeah, I would think what you just said is spot on about mastitis.

I also don't believe in taking antibiotics for EVERY little thing. I think that's why the few times I've had to take it for mastitis I responded well and it didn't last long. As I rarely take medication at all. I also eat a lot of yogurt. I've only had thrush once and that was when I was 16 and had a back surgery and they pumped me up with soooooooo many antibiotics. But, thank goodness I've never had it breast feeding, I can imagine that is torture as when I had it in my mouth it was awful!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~