Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3mo Biting My Nipple With Her Gums

Default 3mo Biting My Nipple With Her Gums

Help! My 3 month old baby has started this thing where she "bites" down on my nipple with her gums. I am wondering if one of two things might be happening:

1. Maybe she is teething? She has been drooling a lot the past month and sucking on her hands. Is biting the nipple a sign of teething?

2. Maybe she has nipple confusion and is frustrated? She started full time daycare 2 weeks ago and she gets a bottle 3 or 4 times a day there. She has been fussing at the breast a lot lately during the evenings (she pushes her face into my breast and then pulls back hard on my nipple) and sometimes whines/cries while trying to suck. She does feed ok during the night time feedings.

Has anyone ever had their baby bite/gum their breasts? What might be causing this? It really hurts and I am so scared that I will react to the pain and then she really won't ever want to breast feed again!

Angie

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: 3mo Biting My Nipple With Her Gums

Do you think you might have an oversupply or a really fast letdown? Often babies do this to slow down the speed that the milk is coming out.

Another reason they do this is because they are frustrated that letdown isn't happening fast enough, and they are trying to speed up the process. Do either of these sound like they could be the cause?

Hi! My daughter starting chomping on me when she was about the same age as your LO. She was also drooling and sucking her fingers. At the end of a feeding, instead of just letting go, she would slide her clenched jaws off my nipple. Ouch! But she didn't get teeth then, and still hasn't at 7 months. I think her teeth were starting to move around inside, and she was massaging her sore gums on me. I did eventually get used to the chomping. Also, I started breaking suction with my finger at the end of a feed. If she wasn't done, she let me know and I relatched her, and tried taking her off manually again a bit later. Maybe that would work for you?

My LO did the same thing when he was 3 months old. Noah has been drooling like mad since he was 2 months old, so I thought that he was teething. He would also chomp on anything that he could get his mouth on, including me! Teething can be a long process...Noah broke his first 2 teeth when he was 5 months, so it was about a 3 month process. She may be teething. You may want to try making some Momsicles for your LO. They worked miracles for us! They are so soothing because it makes their gums feel good, plus they are getting breastmilk!

About the nipple confusion: I went back to work part time when DS was 2 months old, and it was at 3 months that we went through a terrible nursing strike. Noah would prefer the bottle over me at this time, which was extremely frustrating. Some babies that receive a bottle part time start to prefer the bottle over the breast because it is easier for them to receive the milk (they don't have to put a lot effort into getting the milk out of the bottle). What I found worked best for us was using the size 1 nipple (only one hole). I don't know if you are doing this already, but I would recommend it. We use the Avent bottles and as soon as I started using this nipple instead of the size 2, things got a lot better for us. It is worth a try.

It is hard to tell if your lo is teething or having nipple confusion, as it seems that what she is doing could lead to one or the other.

Best of luck and please keep us updated .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

austin did this at three months too.....wasnt nipple confusion since he never had a bottle.....if happened kind of often, it was like he was grinding his teeth and sometimes would pull his head way back...looking right at me too!! he still has no teeth and just in the past week or so he did it again a couple of times after it not happening for a good two or two and a half months.....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Glad to know this is common 3mo behavior! My son does this from time to time and OUCH! He doesn't just bite - he clamps down and then shakes his head back and forth like he's some kind of lion who caught an antelope. I hope he grows out of this!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

oh me too ladies! my DS did this for about 2-3 weeks at 3 mos. and he's finally quit *knock on wood* it was as if he just needed to release some energy or something - kwim??? I had to start watching him closely towards the end of a feeding and try to see it coming so I could stop him... the only time I ddin't do this was at night he got me GOOD a few times.. thank goodness he had no teeth and he's stopped!
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

dont get me wrong the gumming thing hurts.....but......jeeeeeesh....austin used to latch onto the wrong spot sometimes and it would feel just like a bite...and i would get an instant bruise right away.....anyone else?? he hasnt done it in awhile, but probly because i am sooooo careful about it....i used to have to turn the light on at night to make sure it didnt happen!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    dont get me wrong the gumming thing hurts.....but......jeeeeeesh....austin used to latch onto the wrong spot sometimes and it would feel just like a bite...and i would get an instant bruise right away.....anyone else?? he hasnt done it in awhile, but probly because i am sooooo careful about it....i used to have to turn the light on at night to make sure it didnt happen!
    YES! Sometimes, especially if I'm feeding DS in the dark, he totally latches on to the wrong part of the aereola, and YOUCH! It feels like a terrible pinch, and leaver a bruise! I hate that!

Thumbs up Re: 3mo Biting My Nipple With Her Gums

Me to I have Nessa, she has been biting me at most of her feedings to but she has never taken a bottle or a passifier for anyone. She was 9lb 4 oz at birth but is now 16 lb 6 oz and is still growing she is only four months old this week. I to watch for her to finish her feeding and try to take her off as soon as she seems to be done. that is what seems to work for me.