Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going a long time without pumping?

Default Going a long time without pumping?

I just started back at work and have been pumping, lately my DS has not taken the breast since he just had surgery, so I've been exclusively pumping but.. I was worried because it's hard to pump while at work.. so here's my pumping schedule...

7:30am - pump
    2:00pm - pump
    5:00pm - pump
    8:00pm - pump
    11:00pm - pump

It varies how much I make but at 7:30am and at 2:00pm is when I get the most.. and the daily amount I pump is enough to feed my son and more. But, going from 7:30am to 2:00pm without pumping, will that hurt my milk supply? Or will I continue to produce as much as I'm producing now? I really don't want my milk supply to go down but since I only work 6 hours in the day, it's hard to get a break to have the extra pumping session.

Anyways, will it make my supply decrease having that long stretch of time without pumping?

Thanks!!!
    Kenneth Alexander born June 5th, 2010 @ 6:23pm with a partial cleft lip.

Angel Baby, Sophie left us on May 31st, 2008.

I am currently a + mommy!

Currently on Weight Watchers
    Highest weight at pregnancy: 202 lbs
    Weight 2 weeks PP: 173 lbs
    Current weight: 164 lbs
    On my weigh to my goal weight: 122 lbs

Default Re: Going a long time without pumping?

yes- more than likely going that long with out pump will effect your supply. Because really you are going an 8 hour stretch over night then another 6 hour stretch directly afterwards. You *might* be able to get away with the 6 hours stretch if you absolutely have to by pumping more often at night- probably two more times- once at 1 or 2 am then another time at 4 or 5 am. If you did that you might be able to get way with going a 6 hour stretch during the day. Right now your supply is still regulating so you that is why you aren't having too much of a problem but once it does regulate I think you will see a drop in production. Check out this link for more info on pumping.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

If i go that long without pumping, even two or three days, my supply goes down;( ... i was sort of playing around with it a bit because I thought at 8mos it might be able to handle a longer stretch. Not so much.

But everyone's different. I just don't store a ton of milk at a time - i need to empty more often to get more milk. The most i generally get pumping is about 4-5 ounces, whether i pump every 2 hours or every 7 hours - so i need those extra sessions.

I think i actually made more milk at the beginning though, so maybe if your body gets used to your schedule and you're still making enough milk it will work for you.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Even though every one is different. The basic rule of thumb is, more then 6 hours and your supply will be effected.

Personally when I was a EPer if I went any more then 3 hours my supply took a hit and I never could recover from supply dips, no amount of herbs, extra pump sessions, etc would ever get me back up to where I was before the dip!

Thank God, quite literally, DD2 breast feeds, but I had to EP with DD1. And after that experience, I would say, guard your supply like your life depended on it if you are a EPer cause I found it impossible to up my supply. (again every one is different, but that was my personal experience with EPing). And I at first was producing waaaaaay more then enough. But, it got lower and lower with each hit to my supply and again never could recover from some of those hits. Oh I still produced, but it was a fight to keep up with DD1 hunger.

One thing I did differently with DD2, (since I had to pump the first few months and wasn't sure if we would ever get her exclusively on the breast) is I bought freezer bags for milk ASAP as so much of it was wasted with DD1, that could of helped me, but I didn't have the money for the bags with DD1, and I thought with my large over supply it would always be like that. But, I had no education on pumping, and no experience with it and didn't know better. Any way, I did get DD2 finally on the breast, but I have literally like 200 bags of milk in the freezer as a back stash! lol I may end up donating it. But, boy has it put my mind at ease!

So if you aren't already, be sure to freeze any extra you have and never dump it!

Thank you all, ladies.

Definitely cannot afford for my milk supply to drop. I will definitely find time around 10:30am to pump, don't want it to drop!!

Thank you!!
    Kenneth Alexander born June 5th, 2010 @ 6:23pm with a partial cleft lip.

Angel Baby, Sophie left us on May 31st, 2008.

I am currently a + mommy!

Currently on Weight Watchers
    Highest weight at pregnancy: 202 lbs
    Weight 2 weeks PP: 173 lbs
    Current weight: 164 lbs
    On my weigh to my goal weight: 122 lbs