Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: toddler refuses EBM pretty much

Default toddler refuses EBM pretty much

Until about a month ago my 13 mo old took my milk in a bottle from her dad in the morning, bedtime and also when I work one day a week. Now she refuses the bottle (takes 0-20 ccs per offer) and only took 2-3 oz when I worked. I have offered it to her in a cup, she took one sip then pushed it away. Sippy cup, same thing, 1-3 sips then she throws it down. Any other ideas? She nurses plenty so I am not really worried but I have all this wonderful milk that she is refusing now.

I will continue to pump once every morning before I run because I don't want to run with any extra milk in me. I get 1-3 oz in the morning depending upon when she last nursed.

I am contacting my nearest milk bank because I hope at least I can donate it if they don't mind that it will take me 2-3 months to get the 150 oz minimum.

Any ideas on other ways to present the milk or should I just let it go and donate it? Anyone think she might start taking it from a cup in a few months or something? We have a separate freezer now so it would technically be good until next spring and summer. I don't want to be selfish, either, though, and we had the wonderful gift of donor milk when she was a baby and I had very low supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: toddler refuses EBM pretty much

My daughter was 13 mos when she stopped taking bottles, too. I didn't have a stash built up, so I just stopped pumping and nursed when I was with her. Maybe you could donate most of it but keep a smaller stash just in case. Since you are still going to pump you can keep the small stash stocked even if you use a bit here and there.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You could try putting it in something else, I know some moms put bm in a smoothie or in popsicles so that their lo will take it.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Is she eating solids? Are there some that you could mix it into? Maybe make yogurt? I like the smoothie and popsicle ideas too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

she eats a lot of solids. How do you make a EBM smoothie? Just mix it with favorite fruit? We have a blender I am just thinking of any milk being left in the blender when I try to clean it out (I used to cry over 10 ccs spilled when I had low supply).

I would probably throw a little yogurt in there, some fruit and/or veggies and the milk. You could always blend up the yogurt mixture first, pour it into a cup and then mix the milk in by hand.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Well, I just talked to a lady at the milk bank and they are interested in milk from moms whose babies are 6 mos or younger so no donating for me with this baby. Bummer. But maybe next time! She said my dd would probably come around later and drink it.

My daughter quit taking a bottle at about 12 months. We had to start using a sippy cup, but more specifically, (I believe it's the Nuby brand)they have the soft top, so it's similar to bottles. She only takes 3-4oz as well. Maybe you could try other types of sippy cups?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nsm View Post
    You could try putting it in something else, I know some moms put bm in a smoothie or in popsicles so that their lo will take it.
    My daughter will be 1yo on the 14th and she has never taken a bottle. If I give her EBM in her sippy cup she looks at me like I am stupid ("this isn't the boob - what gives?"). Since she eats well off the table, I give her any EBM like I would regular milk with my other kids - in her (cold) cereal, in her yogurt, with flavoring (choc syrup, etc). If nothing else, this will keep you from throwing out that precious milk - the thought of that makes me nauseous, I too cried if I spilled 10cc in the beginning.

Lori - 39 yo mom to 3
    Lee 15yo - nursed for 6weeks, wish I had this forum then
    Connor 9yo - nursed for 14 mo, weaned at mom's urging
    Mollie 1yo - nursing now, no end in sight!!!

Yeah I would cry if I had to throw it out. Fortunately, I just gave most of it away to a mommy friend with low supply.