Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from the nipple shield

Default Weaning from the nipple shield

My 9-week old full term (2days late) wouldn't latch on in the hospital and there was no LC the weekend I delivered. The nursery and maternity nurses were helpful, but there was lots of pressure to get him to eat. One nurse suggested the nipple shield and thankfully my LO latched on with it and has been ever since. Using it doesn't seem to be affecting my milk production because he's growing well and making lots of wet and dirty diapers. Still, the NS is a bit of a pain and I'd like to be done with it. I occasionally try him without it and a handful of times be has latched in and fed - usually I try when he's not super hungry because he just gets frustrated. Lately I've tried without the NS less often - just seems easier to keep him happy. I guess I'd like a miracle - suddenly he decides he doesn't need the NS without having to go through months of weaning attempts. Oh, and I've met with a couple of LCs (of course he always latches well without the NS when an expert is around!) and was told that he has a recessed chin and that was keeping him from latching onto breast. One LC said it will get stronger and he'll be able to not need the NS eventually. His chin has grown out a bit since birth so maybe she's right and it's just a matter of time? Any experiences or advice? Thanks so much!!

Default Re: Weaning from the nipple shield

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

good tips on that link

Keep trying and I bet you'll get rid of the sheild.
    IT just takes some time.

You can do it.

At this stage, if you are convinced he's strong enough with out the NS........um, what I did was just not use it. It made my daughter very mad, she scratched me, pinched me, screamed, pulled her own hair out! But, after a few days she was ok with out it. (she would eventually eat each time with out it! But, it would take awhile). If you decide to go that route, stick to it once you start it will eventually take, and don't plan on going any where for about a week! As baby will be kind of upset, and you'll be at your wits end! At least I was!

Wow, I'm not sure I have the fortitude for a week like that. I would second guess myself - is he ready? Thanks for the input, it's helpful to know what has worked for others. I've been all over the kellymom website - a great resource. I just wanted to hear other experiences, make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Yeah I was kind of determined. We EPed for like 2 1/2 years for DD1, and I had heard that a ns could drop supply, so I was nursing w/ns and pumping to keep up supply with DD2, I was so burned out on pumping after DD1 I was driven to do what I had to to not have to pump any more. I'll admit I was worried too, till she was like 4 months (2 months gestationally she was a preemie, so it was like 4 months after her birth but if she had been born around due date, she would of only been 2 months old). She seems to be fine though. Its been 2 months now and she's doing well, thriving, etc, and one time for some reason I tried the NS again, I think cause I was frustrated, she was tired, etc, and she refused it! So I was happy about that! I was trying to figure out what was wrong with her though as she was so fussy that night so I thought ooooook I will just try the NS I need sleep! But, she refused it. Come to find out it was just gas! lol haha I kept burping her till finally a HUGE burp was released and she settled and it was over for the night! lol haha

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I used a nipple shield for a while with my ds, and I would also suggest looking at the link on kellymom. I also want to say that as he get bigger, it will get easier. Keep trying and you will have success! I used the nipple shield until one day my ds refused it, and we never looked back!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Well, guess what?? I tried my son without the shield last night, was persistent even though he refused, and he finally latched. I've nursed him 4 times since then on both breasts and no shield!!!!! I can't believe it. When he finally latched the first time, he was gulping milk, swallowing really loudly. I wonder if it dawned on him that this was an easier way to get more!! Whatever the reason, thank you all for your responses. Sometimes just knowing that it's possible can make it happen. I can't describe how happy and relieved I am. Thanks again!!

Thumbs up Re: Weaning from the nipple shield

YEA! What a relief! It was always hard for me to keep up with the NS, we bought so many till she weaned of it, cause I was always losing them. So it was a real relief when I didn't have to keep up with the darn thing any more, or make sure it was placed just right etc. YEAH! Doing the happy dance for ya!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Saw this late, but just wanted to say congratulations on dropping the shield!!!! We finally got rid of it at 10 weeks, in the same boat as you, and I know you just love not having to rely on it anymore!
    I just wanted to add that I keep a nipple shield close when my boy has a stuffy nose....sometimes I can get him to nurse longer at the end of a session if I put the shield on and relatch him. He seems to not be able to keep the nipple in his mouth as long when congested, so I trick him into nursing longer to a) get more fluids because he's stuffy and b) keep me from getting engorged as I've started having issues with plugs.

Good job persevering with your baby...it's amazing how they are stubborn and then all of a sudden make up their minds when they are ready to move on!
    mom to Thomas Brocke - born May 5, 2010
    7 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long
    8 lbs 3 oz at two weeks
    12 pounds, 24 1/2 inches at 2 months
    15 pounds at 4 months, 26 3/4 inches - he's gonna be a tall one!
    17 pounds at 6 months

Took us almost 10 weeks, but we successfully weaned from the nipple shield. Boobie au naturale!
    and at home and like a machine at work!