Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing & green stools

Unhappy EPing & green stools

I have been exclusively pumping for about 11 weeks, since our daughter was born six weeks premature. For about the past three weeks, she has been having huge green stools once or twice a day and is more fussy, especially at night. She has been spitting up and throwing up more after feeding and appears to be starving sometimes as little as an hour after eating.

She usually eats 3 - 4 ounces every 2 -3 hours, she was doing a 5 -6 hour stretch at night but that has since stopped.

I am wondering about a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. My current frozen milk is definitely more blueish/watery looking than milk from last month.

Any suggestions on how to correct the imbalance? I am pumping every 3 -4 hours with a 5 - 6 hour stretch at night with about 7 pumpings a day. I pump for about 10 - 12 minutes, stopping after the milk stops flowing and my breasts feel flat. I average about 6 ounces total, every 3 hours, 10 after the night pumping. I average about 43 - 45 ounces a day.

I haven't had any dairy, caffeine, or chocolate for the past two weeks. I went from the PIS to a Freestlye about a month a go, the amount I have been pumping daily hasn't changed.

Thanks!

Default Re: EPing & green stools

It can take up to six weeks for any dairy to leave your system, IIRC. Have you tried mixing all of your pumped milk from the day together before pouring it into the bottles? I've heard of some moms doing this to get better mixes of fore/hind milk.

ETA: 45 oz a day?
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I am new to forum posting, not sure what you mean by ETA, but yes, 45 ounces sometimes even 48. Is that to much?

Sorry - ETA only means "edited to add". 45 oz is great! Better than great! Hence the bow down smiley.

Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Ah! I get it! Little sleep deprived! I will try the mixing thing, I usually just give her the freshest stuff when possible. Thinking about probiotics, any experience with them?