Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Torn about weaning

Default Torn about weaning

I have a 10 month old daughter. I would love to continue BFing her, but am torn on wanting to have more children. I haven't had a period yet so I'm not ovulating. I'm down to pumping once a day at work and then I nurse her in the evenings/alll through the night (sometimes 5-6x at night!) I'm wondering if cutting the once a day pumping session will help? I really enjoy the evening and night nursing. I work and just love the extra time with my little girl. I don't want to give that up yet, but I'm concerned I won't be able to conceive unless I wean her. So torn about this.

Default Re: Torn about weaning

The average time that fertility returns is around 15 months. I would wait and see if it came back on it's own... and then, if you're itching to conceive earlier, maybe start with nightweaning. Also, take a look at the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility", you can start tracking your fertility signs and perhaps catch the egg before you ever get your period.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    The average time that fertility returns is around 15 months. I would wait and see if it came back on it's own... and then, if you're itching to conceive earlier, maybe start with nightweaning. Also, take a look at the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility", you can start tracking your fertility signs and perhaps catch the egg before you ever get your period.

it might come back soon on its own
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

I agree with PPs. I would wait at least a year until I thought about cutting a session.

I wanted my girls to be two years apart. I nursed on-demand for the whole first year, then I night-weaned. That pretty much did the trick. I had two periods (two months total of trying) and I was pregnant when DD1 was 15MO (they are two years and two days apart). So all that to say, there is no huge hurry. Even if you want them to be close in age.

Oh, and when you get pregnant, you can continue to nurse your first and keep that connection.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

If you wean now you will need to replace the breast milk she is no longer getting with formula. Before 12 months your baby needs either breast milk or formula and generally after 12 months it is a gradual transition to solids. If I were you I would not consider weaning until at least age 1, just so I wouldn't have to mess with trying to get my baby to drink formula if for no other reason. Many babies who've gone this long without formula will refuse it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I was an over-producer in the beginning and have a 3-4 month supply of breast milk in the deep freeze, so wouldn't have to give her formula.

Appreciate all the comments!

Another reason to wait 2 more months before cutting back/weaning: the health benefits to you. (Lower risks for diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, etc.) The longer you lactate, the more benefits you get.

Any reason why you're in a hurry to get another baby started?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just my opinion - but I would wait the 2 more mo. before thinking about weaning. And then, you might be surprised, some women do ovulate while nursing even without a period. Not saying that you are, but I do have a friend that got preggo while still nursing her 16 mo. old and she hadn't had a period. Anyway, I weaned my first at a year and still regret it. I wish I had kept nursing him - and even nursed both my kids at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I just wanted to add that your body is telling you that it is not ready to have another child just yet. Your LO is not nursing anymore than mine is at 14 months and I got AF back at 10.5 months with DS3. DS1 it came back at 6 mths due to me weaning him and DS2 it came back at 9 mths. Our bodies are pretty smart and know when we are ready to take on another child. Let nature take its course. You may get it back any day and it could be another 6 months.

I just talked my friend through this exact situation and after discussing night weaning and all the other options she decided to wait it out. Her AF came the following week. She was glad that she didn't night wean or try to drop feedings because it would have been in vein.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton