Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First time mommy, returning to work :(

Question First time mommy, returning to work :(

Actually, I'm not a first time mommy, but that's a whole nother (very sad) story...

A bit of info you may need first; my DD will be 13 weeks and 5 days when I have to return to work. Right now, she is 11 and a half weeks and 10 pounds. I have a Medela Pump in Style Advance breast pump. I will be working three 8 hour days and one 6 hour day. My Mother-in-law will watch her 2x a week at my place, my best friend will watch her 1-2 x per week (depending on my sched) at her house, and my husband will watch her when I have to work on the weekends. I have a few questions...

1. How much milk should I store up for the first day back to work? (8hrs + commute, maybe that makes 9-9.5hr day then)
    2. How do I store up milk for the first day when I am nursing her?
    3. Do I have to pump at work as often as I would nurse her at home? That would be every 1.5 - 2 hours!
    4. If I pumped only 2-3 times the whole shift at work, would my supply decrease?
    5. Does anyonoe know the law/rules in Minnesota for pumping mothers returning to work?

I don't want to do this... It makes me sad to leave her.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by @llli*oliviasmommy; August 30th, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: First time mommy, returning to work :(

Ok yes you have to pump for every missed feeding to maintain supply especially at this age. You could do every 2 hours. To build up a freezer stash, what I did was to pump for about 10 minutes after most feedings starting NOW. You will slowly build a stash oz by oz. Keep each sessions milk in the fridge until you have 3 oz portions (at this age ) when combining milk remember to only do it if all milk is at same temp. Then transfer all 3oz into a freezer BM bad, no air and lay flat. Label with the date of the oldest milk in the bag. You can also possibl;y add a full pumping session if your baby sleeps for a predictable stretch; my son slept from 8-11pm so I pumped at 930pm full session (15 minutes for me).

As far as how much, educated the caregivers on proper breast milk feeding to ensure they don't overfeed. Usually 1-1.5 oz per hour the baby is away from you. I always gave my caregivers frozen milk and they could thaw and warm as needed.

Also when you say "medical grade" PISA, I am unfamiliar with that, I always thought a hospital grade Medela's were the Sympthony or the Lactina? Do you specifically need a hospital grade pump for a certain reason and if so are you sure the PISA is that grade.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Also when you say "medical grade" PISA, I am unfamiliar with that, I always thought a hospital grade Medela's were the Sympthony or the Lactina? Do you specifically need a hospital grade pump for a certain reason and if so are you sure the PISA is that grade.
    HA! I did not mean medical grade , I did mean hospital grade. And, I guess I really don't know if it is hospital grade , I just assumed it was, because the hospital gave it to me.

I don't think it is, but barring some condition you didn't mention, you probably don't need a hospital grade one.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

w/ PP

Another thought for you - have you introduced a bottle to your LO? I would start NOW giving your LO a bottle once a day. I would have somebody else do it.

It doesn't have to be a lot of EBM - even just a ounce to get your LO taking the bottle ok.

Some LOs take the bottle right away. Mine - not so much.

I was finally able to get DD to take Playtex Natural Latch in Latex. We use Playtex Drop-Ins.

I know how much it sucks to go back to work. I'm sorry.

Also know that it may be tough to pump a lot the first few days. My supply took a hit due to the emotions of it all. That's why having a freezer stash is so helpful. So, do start pumping now as PP said.

I also got this hands free set-up. It's a pumping band by Made by Moms. A Google search for it should find it for you. That was the very best $30 I had spent in a longgggggggg time. It allows me to pump and keep working. I love it.

I am not sure about Minn. laws. I presume somebody in your HR department could help. I am sure you could also find it on the 'net.

I know pumping at work is tough, but YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! It has helped me feel more connected with my DD just knowing I'm doing the best I can for her while I'm away from her.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Just a thought - if you generally nurse your baby on ONE SIDE only every 1.5 hours, then, in theory, you will need to pump less than you nurse, becuase you're doing BOTH SIDES. So that would mean you pump a couple hours after you arrive, and then every three hours. Does that make sense?

Of course, it's hard to pump too much, and if you can do more, start out doing more. Especially if you have had supply issues, or if your baby sleeps through the night.

But for what it's worth, I started out pumping three times a day (9 hour work day) and quickly went down to two longer sessions (waiting for a second letdown) with no adverse impact to quantity or supply. Everyone is different. You kind of have to "feel out" a schedule that works for you.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.