Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for all 100% EPing Moms

Default Re: Questions for all 100% EPing Moms

Mommal and I were posting at the same time! At least you know that's a good video because we both linked it :-)

We had a 4-5 mo nursing strike and it was very difficult but I am so glad we kept trying to latch on when she was really sleepy because now she is 13 mos old and (nursing right now) nurses all the time, loves her "numie nums" as she calls them...and I hate for you to miss out on that part of nursing, too.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I was pumping 7 times a day, AF didn't come back till I went down to 5 times a day, that was at around 20 months.

BTW the first few months I did 8 times a day. 8 times a day is optimal for a EPer. It doesn't mean you have to be on a schedule, but does mean getting up in the night at least once.

Personally I sleep pumped!

This what I did. I had a rocker/recliner by the bed, I mean literally inches from my bed, right up to the bed, so I literally could roll out of bed and into the chair. I had the pump set up next to the chair on a table (convector is what we have in our apartment, and there was a extended part of it that served as my table). I would have all the pump stuff ready and just hook up. I bought a cooler from Target, and lots of those medela refreezable packs (we found they stayed frozen longer then any other refreezable packs we tried), after pumping I capped the milk, put the horns and other pump parts in a clean zip lock baggie (already laid out before I went to bed!), and put the parts and the pumped milk in the cooler. Then for the next session I reused the parts since they would be just as good as the milk. Remember though the milk from the uncleaned parts would only last as long as the milk from the first session using the parts when they were clean. But, for night time, a few hours didn't make much difference in my mind. Cause well, the milk is good for like up to a week. So a few hours not much difference. But, the key is keeping the parts/milk cold! Hince the cooler.

Then I would also set a timer, for the length of time I wanted to pump. I would start pumping set the timer and go to sleep, the timer would wake me, I would put every thing in the cooler, and go back to bed/sleep. No problems! The only thing is, in the AM to remember to put every thing in the fridge from the night! lol And refreeze the ice packs for the next night. We found having 6 to 7 ice packs worked best. That way I used 3 each night, and that gave them a long time to refreeze. Also we needed extra if I left the house during the day, that would be frozen already so we could pack the other cooler for the car, and pump in the car during the day if need be.

This worked best for me.
    Last edited by @llli*magnoliahoney; September 1st, 2010 at 12:59 PM.

I know my pump says not to pump while sleeping, not sure why but just wanted to add that.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I would say cause if you are hooked up too long you could hurt your nipples, and do some damage. But, that's why I set the timer, to wake up before it's too "long".

There would of been no other way for me to keep it up for 2 1/2 years with out sleeping. lol I the first year, and was exhausted! I mean, like I would sit down at my parents house or something during the day and fall asleep, with in seconds. With out trying! That's a sign of sleep deprivation. Once I started sleep pumping, I was soooooo much better.

PS even if you choose not to "sleep pump", the cooler, with the ice packs, and all the other stuff I said, really helps in getting back to sleep. When you have to walk to the kitchen, turn on lights etc, it really messes with your sleep. So even if you stay awake to pump at night, by not having to leave the room, and not having to turn on lights, you'll get back to sleep better when you get back in bed afterwards. And you will get "more" sleep.

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I've used a cooler during my pumping sessions, too. For me, it's a huge haul to have to carry milk across the house, downstairs and then into the kitchen just to get it stored. If I can save a little bit of time, I'll do what I have to.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Me too Lori, it feels almost impossible most nights. I'm just too tired! It saved me a ton of agony when I learned to do the cooler!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    Me too Lori, it feels almost impossible most nights. I'm just too tired! It saved me a ton of agony when I learned to do the cooler!
    Yep. My warmer has a cooler on the back and I also have a spare cooler for that, so I always have two feedings worth of bottles up here with me (we don't spend much time downstairs) and then I'll sometimes bring another cooler up for pumped milk when I have busier days. For me, when the boys wake up in the middle of the night, it's a tossup as to whether DH is going to get up and help. I have to feed them, change diapers, get them settled and then I get the chance to pump, so some nights I may be up for several hours because by then, I can't get back to sleep. The boys are STTN a good portion of the time, so I'm not up as long when I get up to pump, but I still like my sleep . . . .
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Exactly. My DH is pretty good about helping out. BUT, he works rotating shifts, which means one week a month he works night shift. And that week I'm on my own! And half dead! lol Then there is one week a month he works 7am to 3pm and that weeks I feel bad about waking him up when he has to go to work in the am.......but I digress, I wake him any way, cause I just can't function sometimes!