Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe to buy a used breastpump?

Default Safe to buy a used breastpump?

I am wondering if it is safe to buy a used breastpump? I'm debating whether to buy a new one (Medela pump in style) or try one from Craigslist. I heard that even if you replace the plastic tubing/parts that the motor can still harbor germs from a previous owner. Any thoughts? Is this a purchase not to skimp on? Thanks!

Default Re: Safe to buy a used breastpump?

What are you going to be using the pump for? Are you going to stay at home with your LO, and use the pump for the occasional bottle? In that case, I might try a used pump since you're not going to be depending on it. But if you're going back to work, there's no way I'd buy a used pump, since you'll need it to be working at peak efficiency every single day. A used pump could have lost a lot of power.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

technically the PISA is an open circuit so yes it can harbor bacteria even if you switch plastic parts. I used a used pump but from a friend whom I trust but I wouldn't use one from CI. I'd save and buy a new one. HTH
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    technically the PISA is an open circuit so yes it can harbor bacteria even if you switch plastic parts. I used a used pump but from a friend whom I trust but I wouldn't use one from CI. I'd save and buy a new one. HTH
    I would save and buy a new one, I have had milk get into the motor, so I have seen it can easily happen. I know that my milk is safe but I would be cautious because of bacteria and germs and even mold. (I have seen mold build in tubing too!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I bought a used one from a friend that I trust. She had only used it a couple of times and then found out that she could get a "free" hospital pump from the military.

A friend of mine bought a used one from CL and hasn't had a problem, but personally I am a huge germophobe, so I'd be cautious.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Smile Re: Safe to buy a used breastpump?

After talking to my friends mother, who is a lactation consultant, I wouldn't take chances with a used breast pump. Even if you are getting it from someone you know it can still be unsanitary without them knowing. Once milk and moisture get into the pump motor, there's really no way to clean it, which I find pretty disgusting.

The Ameda Purely Yours pumps have the closed system, so you don't have to deal with milk getting into the pump, but I would still prefer a new one, as they aren't very pricey compared to some other models. The good thing about those Ameda pumps is that they have the replacement Hygienikit. So if you were going to go used, I would recommend getting an Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump and just replacing the Hygienikit. It will be cheaper in the end, and your safest choice in my opinion.

For other references both of these sites talk about not using a secondhand pump, as do others.

http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/bor...pump_a/146.htm

http://www.breastpumps.com/facts_abo...d_breast_pumps

Another option for a good deal would be ebay. Sometimes you can get new products at better prices there. If you are planning on going with a Medela PIS just be aware that they are not closed-system breast pumps, so even though you would be the only user, it could still become contaminated without proper care and maintaining.

Good luck with your feeding efforts!

Edit: Here's another resource that talks about the dangers of using a used breast pump: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml
    Last edited by @llli*babycomit; September 16th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.

La Leche League doesn't recommend using used pumps, because of the risk of contamination and also because the motors aren't designed for more than about a year of use. They can become less effective over time, which could interfere with your supply if you need to pump regularly.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--