Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Calling all exclusivly breastfeeding moms for at least 1 year

Default Calling all exclusivly breastfeeding moms for at least 1 year

OK, I am looking for other moms that have exclusivly breastfed for at least 1 year (meaning no foods/formula/juice, only breastmilk). I would love to compare notes with you and see if what is going on with my DD is normal. There has got to be other moms out there that have not given anything other than BM for the 1st year.

Default Re: Calling all exclusivly breastfeeding moms for at least 1 year

My son was exclusively breastfed for 21 months. In our case it wasn't by choice; we were offering foods but DS never ate them--not a single bite. At one year DS was still happy and healthy. He nursed a lot day and night (I think at a year he was nursing maybe every hour or two). He was checked for anemia at 12 months, 15 months, and 20 months and was always fine--well within normal range. After the one year mark we began to have problems because my milk supply decreased. Then he stopped growing, and was nursing ALL THE TIME. Do you have particular concerns that you want to know about?

Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    My son was exclusively breastfed for 21 months. In our case it wasn't by choice; we were offering foods but DS never ate them--not a single bite. At one year DS was still happy and healthy. He nursed a lot day and night (I think at a year he was nursing maybe every hour or two). He was checked for anemia at 12 months, 15 months, and 20 months and was always fine--well within normal range. After the one year mark we began to have problems because my milk supply decreased. Then he stopped growing, and was nursing ALL THE TIME. Do you have particular concerns that you want to know about?
    OMG, yes!!!! Madeline has not gained any weight for 5 months (since she was 7 months old, she also had stomach surgery though, I think my concerns are more related to that than exclusivly nursing though). She has tripled her birthweight already. All of her iron levels are fine (gets checked once a month, don't know why, but the docs insist on it). She nurses every hour and a half and sleeps through the night on most nights. She's 18lbs 6oz as of Tuesday and 28 inches long, she's grown a inch and a half since she was 6 months old....

Hmmm, no weight gain for 5 months would worry me as well. However, I would say having a major surgery could definitely have something to do with that. We were told that if the issue is not enough calories, you will see weight gain slow and stop first, then growth in height, and finally head circumference. This is exactly what happened with my son. Although, like I said, he was still growing fine up to one year. It was after that he stopped. At first I wasn't worried, I just thought he'd start eating when he was ready. But after awhile it became obvious he wasn't getting enough to eat, and he still wouldn't take any solids. I think if my milk supply had stayed sufficient (I'm still not sure why it didn't), he would have been ok health wise. My DS never slept through the night. When I say he nursed all the time, I mean around the clock. During the day it may have been every half hour, at night 45 min-1 1/2 hours--something like that. We also noticed a bit of a drop in diaper output. For awhile I just thought that he was getting older and so peed less often. But when I started taking fenugreek to up my supply, we suddenly saw sooo many more diapers. We ended up taking him to a feeding clinic and implementing an intervention program to get him to eat. I didn't like it at all, but it did work. And once he started eating, he immediately started growing again. Your daughter's situation sounds a bit different, though, with the other medical issues. Not sure if any of this info is helpful to you??

It actually is!!! The number of wet diapers is still high, 8-10 a day. Another question, when your DS was EBF, how often did he have a bowel movement? She has one every 4-7 days, like a newborn after that 6 week or so peorid. Her GI is freaked out about that because of her age, but since she eats like a newborn, I figured she would poop like a newborn. Strange question, but the info would be great, BTW, congrats on EBF that long!!!! I know when I tell people that she only nurses I get a funny/confused look...a lot of people don't know what it's like to deal with a child with actual food issues....

Oh man I'm here with you, although we had started like one meal every so often after six months. But she probably only had a total of 15 babyfood jars until she turned a year. Now I've been feeding her about two meals a day. Anyway, Kaytlynn is smaller than your baby. She was 16lbs and 27 in at her one year appt. She too has quit growing, well at least she hadn't changed any from ther six month appt. She acts happy and healthy though so I'm not too worried about it. The doc. PUSH the food though, they have been since she turned four months. I wouldn't worry about anything though personally unless she is acting like things aren't right. KWIM Is she meeting all of her milestones? She sounds like her output is good. I bet the doc. you mentioned that didn't like that she didn't poop much, doesn't know much about bfing especially extended bfing. I think all sounds great. You said she's sleeping through the night right? That's a good sign that she's getting plenty. I know Kaytlynn will wake once a night on days she doesn't eat good and make up for it during the night. Good luck, sounds like you're doing AWESOME. I wouldn't have started solids at a year if it weren't for the MIL and DH, they just don't understand, and they don't care to learn. URGHH I guess we gotta love em though. LOL

When my son was still EBF he only pooped once every few days. It also got much thicker than usual breastmilk poo, though (I think because he didn't really have enough liquid). I'd say, though, that only going every few days would still be normal for an EBF baby at any age--why would that change if diet doesn't change?

the charts that docs use today for weight gain etc is based on studies done during the 50's & 60's - when use of formula was being pushed. the reality is in the US, not many docs know the weight gain pattern in exclusively bf children above 12 mos. i go by what my mom said - as long as child is thriving, reasonably meeting milestones & is not running a fever, you are good. that being said, you are the mom & if you feel something is wrong don't hesitate for doc opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    When my son was still EBF he only pooped once every few days. It also got much thicker than usual breastmilk poo, though (I think because he didn't really have enough liquid). I'd say, though, that only going every few days would still be normal for an EBF baby at any age--why would that change if diet doesn't change?
    Thank you, that was my thought on it....she eats like a newborn, so she poops like a newborn!!! I'm glad there are others out there to talk to about this....