Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work - low supply - Dr. gave me Reglan?

Default Back to work - low supply - Dr. gave me Reglan?

My baby is 9 wks, EBF, however gaining slowly (5 oz per week).
    I am supposed to go back to work in 4 weeks but currently can only pump 2 oz in 40 min, first thing in the morning.

My Dr. prescribed Reglan to boost supply but the side effects sound awful. Does anyone have any experience with this medication or suggestions on how to increase pumping supply?

Currently I pump for 15 min 4 x a day after nursing and power pump for 1 hour at midnight.
    Average 1 - 1.5 oz total

Default Re: Back to work - low supply - Dr. gave me Reglan?

Welcome!

Your baby's weight gain sounds slow, but still in the normal range. Before I took Reglan, I would want to make sure that 5 oz/week wasn't just his/her normal pattern. How is nursing going? Any pain? Is the baby sleepy at all? How are the baby's diapers? Diaper output is the best way to judge milk input- if output is normal, so is input.

I took Reglan and had no adverse side-effects from it. The only thing it did for me was to increase supply. However, I feel that while Reglan helped me, what helped more was pumping frequently using an excellent pump (in my case, a hospital-grade rental).

Your pumping output actually sounds pretty normal. These links should be helpful:
    I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
    How much expressed milk will my baby need?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you are nursing full time, and then pumping on top of that, 1-2 oz is great! Keep in mind that once you go back to work, you will be pumping out what your daughter would normally be nursing out. I would hold on to the perscription and wait until I go back to work before taking it. As long as your daughter is having enough output right now, there is no reason to suspect that you won't be able to pump enough once you get to work.

Nursing is going ok, DS transfers about 2 oz during a "good" feeding. He is a very sleepy baby so it's an almost constant battle to get him to eat for a sustained period. Wet/poop diapers are good. 6-8 wet
    4-5 poop.

To clarify, I pump 1 - 1.5 oz total for the day... not per pumping session.

I once pumped in lieu of nursing and got 2 oz.

My fear is this will not be enough when i go back to work...

What pumping schedule did you follow to increase supply?
    LC only recommended 4 X per day but I have not seen a increase.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladydilee View Post
    If you are nursing full time, and then pumping on top of that, 1-2 oz is great! Keep in mind that once you go back to work, you will be pumping out what your daughter would normally be nursing out. I would hold on to the perscription and wait until I go back to work before taking it. As long as your daughter is having enough output right now, there is no reason to suspect that you won't be able to pump enough once you get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babicakes View Post
    Nursing is going ok, DS transfers about 2 oz during a "good" feeding. He is a very sleepy baby so it's an almost constant battle to get him to eat for a sustained period. Wet/poop diapers are good. 6-8 wet
    4-5 poop.

To clarify, I pump 1 - 1.5 oz total for the day... not per pumping session.

I once pumped in lieu of nursing and got 2 oz.

My fear is this will not be enough when i go back to work...

What pumping schedule did you follow to increase supply?
    LC only recommended 4 X per day but I have not seen a increase.
    How do you know that he transfers about 2 oz?

How often will you be pumping at work? How long have you been power pumping? Since you are pumping after nursing, I still think what you are getting is good. Your body will adjust and realize that it needs to make more milk since you are pumping after nursing.
    What kind of pump do you have?

How do you know that he transfers about 2 oz?
    I went to a lactation support group where I weigh him before and after a feeding.

How often will you be pumping at work?
    Not sure, hope to pump at least 3 times a day or as often as necessary / as often as I can.

How long have you been power pumping?

4 days

What kind of pump do you have?

Madela PIS

Thanks for your advice and the links above!
    I guess I just keep doing what I'm doing and trust my body to adjust to provide?
    Just nervous as DS is a slow gainer and on the small side.

I'm not much of an advocate of medication for upping your production. I would try everything under the sun before going that route.