Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mommy acne....still?

Default Mommy acne....still?

Ok, my face broke out a bit while a was pregnant and shortly after DS was born, which I know is common. But, over the last six months it's returned and gotten worse. DS is 2 1/2! What could be causing this? Could it be related to DECREASED nursing? Help--I feel like I've gone back to 9th grade!

Default Re: Mommy acne....still?

I've noticed a bit of that too--I think my hormones are just all over the place right now. Sorry I can't answer more definitively.

I've had the same thing, and I'm thinking it's hormone related. I'll start to clear up, then, about the same time every month, it happens all over again. It did start to get that way once I decreased nursing, which brought on ovulation and the return of my periods just about a month ago.

So....my answer? Yes, I do think it's related to decreased nursing because that more than likely causes a shift in hormones.

To combat this, I just wash my face twice a day with a salicylic acid wash (morning and night). I try not to touch my face during the day because that transfers oils and dirt, causing clogged pores and break-outs, and I use a benzoil peroxide cream in the morning after washing my face, under my oil-free moisturizer (which also has spf 15). It seems to help a lot, though it doesn't get rid of it completely.

I hope this helps!

Yes, I started breaking out too. When I was preggo, another mommy recommended this product:

MDFormulations

It has been a lifesaver! I use it every night and then follow with moisturizer. If your skin can handle it, you can use it day and night. I am a product whord and have tried EVERYTHING!!! This is the most amazing creme. It is safe to use while nursing - I've asked about 10 docs. Has glycolic acid in it, but it does not irritate the skin, and my skin is very sensitive. A bit pricey, but lasts a long time (6 mo) and worth every penny.

If you feel like splurging, the face wash is awesome too! It also comes in sensitive skin.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Thanks for all of the product ideas--I'll try something and see if it helps!