Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is my supply dipping?

Default is my supply dipping?

I've been back to work for a little over a month. I work 11p-7a 5 days a week, and I sleep during the day. DH is a SAHD and brings LO to me during the day to feed him. LO is 3 months old and has been gaining well.I pump 3 times/night. Baby eats 2-3 times when I'm gone. I put 3 oz in each bottle, he usually eats the whole bottle. When I first went back I was getting 4-6oz at each pumping session, so I had 12-16oz and the most he took was 9oz each night. Over the last week I've only been getting 3oz per session, so I make enough for him but not as much as I used to. I'm worried that the trend will continue and next week I won't get enough to feed him. My breasts feel empty at the end of the pumping session. I put new valves on the pump with no change.Do you think this is the beginning of a drop in supply? the only thing I changed is that I increased my zoloft from 75 to 100mg about 2 weeks ago. I've been on 75 since right after he was born. I'm tempted to buy fenugreek or moremilk. I am so motivated to do this until he's at least a year.
    breastfeeding my sweet baby boy and pumping at work.

birth-6lbs 9oz
    2 days-6lbs-they almost made us supplement!
    2wks-7lbs 8oz!
    4wks-9lbs 3 oz
    8wks-11lbs, 10 oz
    4months-14lbs, 4oz

Default Re: is my supply dipping?

My guess is that you are experiencing a dip in supply. But that's not irrevocable- the more you pump or nurse the more you'll make- and it's also not a sign that you're going to lose your supply completely. Can you increase your pumping frequency? And if not, what sort of pump are you using, and can you afford a better one?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i have a lansinoh double electric, and it would be tight but i would spend the money for a better pump if that's what i needed to keep up. I can't really pump any more at work. I feel guilty taking as many breaks as I do. Maybe that's part of the problem-the guilt I feel when I'm off the unit. I'm the night turn supervisor, so there's really not a whole lot for me to do, mostly I find stuff to keep myself busy when I'm not pumping. I'm hoping that soon he sleeps through the night consistently, then I'll start doing 3 12 hour shifts, I think.
    Last edited by @llli*dreamerRN; August 27th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

birth-6lbs 9oz
    2wks-7lbs 8oz!
    4wks-9lbs 3 oz
    8wks-11lbs, 10 oz
    4months-14lbs, 4oz

Does your place of work have a "lactation" room? is there a nursery where you may use their hospital grade pump? If so, then you won't have to invest in another pump and the hospital grade pumps are the BEST to get our milk out.

Lots of fluids, oatmeal, power pump and rest can help too!
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

i used this weekend to pump extra with my evenflo comfort select. i got a good amount (5 oz per session) and almost have an oversupply now. if i'm still not getting as much with my lansinoh pump this week i'm going to conclude it;s the pump.

i dont have a lactation room or access to a hospital grade pump.

sorry for typos-baby on my lap

birth-6lbs 9oz
    2wks-7lbs 8oz!
    4wks-9lbs 3 oz
    8wks-11lbs, 10 oz
    4months-14lbs, 4oz