Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exclusively pumping but would like to try latching on

Default exclusively pumping but would like to try latching on

My second daughter is almost 3 months. I decided to pump exclusively since birth because with my first daughter I had latching issues and my milk dried up. I thought the bonding experience for my husband would be nice if he could still bottle feed our second child.

Anyhow- when she was born she had no problems latching on but I felt guilty about breastfeeding her and not having been able to do it with my first daughter. So I decided to pump exclusively. Now I have changed my mind and would like to try breastfeeding.

Is there a way to get her to start latching on now or is it too late since I have always fed her with a bottle (except a handful of times in the hospital).

I know my decision may not make sense to some people...but I had my reasons. Although now I've changed my mind and hope that I'm able to breastfeed without using a pump and bottle. thanks!

Default Re: exclusively pumping but would like to try latching on

You can definitely try! I would suggest trying to get baby to latch on in between feedings so there is no frustration on either end in regard to being hungry or feeling like you have to get her to latch. Let it be a relaxing, easy going experience for both of. Try it while you are in a bath together or laying in bed snuggling. Make lots of skin to skin contact- take your shirt off, take her clothes of and cuddle where your breasts are available. Try putting some of your milk on your nipple and brush her lips with your nipple to see if she'll latch on.

Here's a link that might be helpful for you. It's for moms whose babies won't nurse for whatever reason, but a lot of the tips and techniques would be helpful for you as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the PP. The link she posted is excellent.

Maybe you'll be able to get this baby back to the breast, maybe not. My Mom was able to get my sister back on the breast after 3 months off, so I know it can be done! No guarantees, but definitely worth a shot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

WOW!!! Thanks so much for the link!
    I kid you not---- I tried getting her to latch on tonight and she did. I did it after a bottle when she was calm, we were both all snuggled, relaxed (other daughter was in bed already)....she didn't stay on long...but it's a start. Maybe this will work. I will be ecstatic! Thanks so much!

That's a great start and a good sign! Keep it up and keep us posted on how it's going.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

so far today she just is not having it. I'm going to keep trying. she knows how to latch on so I know she can do it. I really hope this works!!! thanks again!!!

A lot of babies tend to be more receptive when they are sleepy, maybe you could try again at naptime. Or at the end of nap as she's waking up.
    --Anonymous

Here's a thought... I would suggest pumping just for a minute or less just before you try to latch her on... pump just long enough to get your milk to let down, that way when your DD latches on she will be immediately rewarded with milk, similar to how it is when she drinks from a bottle. Maybe once she realizes there is milk there she might be more interested? Keep at it! You can do it!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Good suggestions from the PPs.

Do you co-sleep? Sometimes a baby who is resistant to nursing will latch on at night when she's too relaxed to fight.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks...still not having luck. I will try the pumping. what a great idea. I don't co-sleep normally but we do nap together sometimes. I have been trying at nap time. I'll keep it up. I'm determined!