Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not pumping well and don't want to supplement--any advice?

Default Re: Not pumping well and don't want to supplement--any advice?

I'm sorry your having problems. I think it is a good idea to add a pumping session in and maybe rent a hospital grade pump for a month or so as a option. It can be hard but try to play some relaxing music look at you LO or a picture and smell some clothes or a baby blanket.

I used to hold a rolled heating pad where my son would be laying to create the heat to confuse my body. Sounds strange but I was willing to try anything for those let downs.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinak View Post
    Well i usually pump daily but haven't been v regular the past week or so. do u ever need to change the tubing?
    You need to pump more regularly or your body will think it doesn't need to make the milk.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    It really sounds like you might want to just start out by pumping more - (i know things get crazy and it's hard!) but I know for me, i don't pump on weekends and it takes me a couple of sessions at the beginning of the week to get back into the pumping groove

I know it's different for you because it sounds like you're home with your LO, but whenever i want to boost my supply I pump after i'm done feeding.

You could try power pumping for a few days.

thanks for all your suggestions. have been under a lot of stress and also just got AF back. thinking that might have contributed. trying to nurse and pump lots, hoping it will work.

Also you HAVE to find a way to relax while pumping, it is VERY hard to have a let down with a pump if you are stressed. What can you do to relax your thoughts? Music, reading a favorite magazine, thinking of waterfalls? Anything like that might help. But, you absolutely can't be stressed. I know it effected my pump production, and some people I know can't get out any when stressed. So they have to really consciencely relax while pumping to get anything out.

thanks for all your suggestions. have been under a lot of stress and also just got AF back. thinking that might have contributed. trying to nurse and pump lots, hoping it will work.
    i think that this would be a part of it for sure. I know my supply goes back up within a couple of days of starting my period.

good luck!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Have you tried using different techniques as far as starting with slow cycle speed and high suction, then shifting to a quicker cycle and lowering the suction. Different people require different methods. I would try anything I could to keep producing if I were you. Also there are herbal supplements that are helpful for some women. I hope you get back on track.

Well i usually pump daily but haven't been v regular the past week or so. do u ever need to change the tubing?
    This could very well be the problem right here. It's all supply and demand. If you HAVE NOT been pumping the two times you reularly pump, then your body thinks your child is simply outgrowing these sessions. To get a let down, especially for a pump, there has to be consistent routine. You can't go a few days without the extra stimulation and expect the milk to just be waiting. The good news is it's all supply and demand. So just as you notice a decrease in your out put when you stop doing the extra pumping, you should see it again within a week or so if you get back to being consistent. Though I think that Jenna may be on to something. You may want to add a third session in to jumpt start production. But You really can't get lax about the pumping schedule until you are at least a year into your routine. Because what a child needs changes SOO dramatically every few weeks the whole first year, that your body expects (and rightly so) to change output all the time. Get yoru pumping seesions back consistently and your milk levels will go back to normal.

Way too lazy for formula