Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not pumping well and don't want to supplement--any advice?

Default Not pumping well and don't want to supplement--any advice?

I posted a question on the increasing milk forum too but thought maybe this forum would be appropriate too.
    After six months of bfing, I'm suddenly having trouble pumping--anything. Not sure why--though I have recently been very stressed. And not pumping is not reducing stress by any means. Dont seem to get a letdown anymore.
    But i have only one bottle of bm left. and this weekend i might have to go out, and am scared i might have to resort to formula. Really don't want that.
    Any advice on options/remedies? also if i do have to give her a bottle of formula how much should i give and how bad would it be for her given that she only has bm?

Default Re: Not pumping well and don't want to supplement--any advice?

have you changed your pump parts recently? What pump do you have? what is your typical pumping schedule?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have a medela pisa. changed the membranes a couple of months ago and the valves but not more recently than that. any other parts i should change?
    I usually pump once in the am around 10, and once in the pm, usually after nursing tho sometimes to replace a feed.but due to various reasons i havent had a v consistent schedule recently.

well what worked for me was to change the membranes once every 4-6 weeks and the valves every 8 weeks or so. Also some mom's get more during the morning when hormone levels are higher. I saw a major dip at 9 months. I added another session into my day-total PITA but had to be done.
    Have you read this link?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Do you pump every day? I can't tell from your posts. When I was pumping, my supply went down once and I changed out my membranes, added another pumping session in and then tried a smaller flange size. Lilah was about 9 months and my supply had finally evened out, so I think that was what did it.

You can try eating oatmeal as well.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Well i usually pump daily but haven't been v regular the past week or so. do u ever need to change the tubing?

It's worth a try. Perhaps if you're not pumping regularly, it is harder for your body to respond to the pump. I'm not sure.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It really sounds like you might want to just start out by pumping more - (i know things get crazy and it's hard!) but I know for me, i don't pump on weekends and it takes me a couple of sessions at the beginning of the week to get back into the pumping groove

I know it's different for you because it sounds like you're home with your LO, but whenever i want to boost my supply I pump after i'm done feeding.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

with PP about checking and changing pump parts. the only other thing I can think of is have you recently gotten AF back? or went on any hormonal BC? both of these can affect your supply.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?