Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain and despair!!!!!

Default Pain and despair!!!!!

Mamas, I need some advice, encouragement, etc. My beautiful DD is 13 months old and still nursing like a champ. But her top teeth are now so big that nursing is sometimes...um...tender. This is especially a problem at night when she's very tired and nursing more shallowly, and now I have one nipple that's so bruised and painful I tear up every time she latches on. I may need to keep her just on the other breast until this one heals.

She's not biting, it's just lazy jaw. And if I say "OW" or even a gentle "no bite" or "be nice to mama's tata", she gets so hurt and just cries and cries. I think she's particularly sensitive to hurting me.

Please reach out if you've ever been through this? I'm literally going to walk away from my computer now and pick up a pack of Soothies from CVS. OUCH!!!!!
    First time mama to my beautiful girl, iBaby, born 7-31-2009. Blogger at www.imanimama.com

Default Re: Pain and despair!!!!!

Sometimes my ds leaves teeth marks after he has nursed. The best recommendation I have heard is to have them open their mouth wider when they latch. Hope you get feeling better soon!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

How do you get them to open wider? I try to model it for her, and say "open really big!" in a cheerful voice. The pain is excruciating. Even wearing a bra, hours after my last nursing session, it's just so so sore.
    First time mama to my beautiful girl, iBaby, born 7-31-2009. Blogger at www.imanimama.com

I would just start unlatching her every time that her latch deteriorates. I know this will probably be inconvinient to start with but that is the only way that it is going to feel better. Also is this a recent problem or has it been this way since she got teeth?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

DD is the same way--huge tears and drama if I tell her SHE'S hurting me . She always starts chomping on my nipple when she's teething though, so that's something to consider. The good news is that the biting always eases up once the teething pain goes away. But I will stop and unlatch her and tell her, "Open your mouth bigger, aaahhh" and try to get a deeper latch.

My DD is almost 10 months and we have this problem too, it seems everyday her top teeth get lower it hurts more and more, I really dont want to stop feeding her but I'm almost in tears everytime!

I don't have any advice just a my ds 25 mos also gets upset and worried when I tell him the nuh nuh's hurt. Its because I'm pregnant not a latch issue though, I've had to limit the length of nursing sessions because I couldn't stand the pain.

Have you tried pushing the boob gently more into her mouth? My LO is 19 months and we went through this too. I read some place that suggested this that when LO tried biting down to just gently push the boob more into his mouth and it works for us. It gets him to open his mouth more.

It sounds painful, it was at first too, hang in there.