Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure to Thrive??

Default Re: Failure to Thrive??

no, no, no. The LC is wrong. Your breastmilk has far more nutritive value, including GOOD HEALTHY fats and calories than any solids you could give her. For the first entire year your breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition and solids are just for fun and experience. After the year point it is a gradual transition from breastmilk to solids as the main source of nutrition. I would nurse more and give less solids to encourage more nursing (and avoid potential irritants).

ETA: also wanted to add that my daughter who is almost 4 has been 3-5 %ile her entire life and that has not been a problem. It is within the normal range and she is just a petite girl. The only reason I'd be concerned in your case is because of the steady long term drop. But that still may just be your child's growth curve.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How would I go about getting a IBCLC (international board-certified LC) as previously mentioned?

I went to a breastfeeding clinic in a city a couple of hours away (learned about it through my sister-in-law), but I'm sure you could google, or maybe find one through the LLL website?

Have you been to a pediatric gastroenterologist? Meat is actually an acceptable first food (high in iron), and most infants should be able to digest it. Since your LO seemed to have a bad reaction to it, I'd be inclined to suspect some sort of allergy, intolerance or malabsorption... from the description of the poo, maybe fat malabsorption? Which could also explain the drop in percentages. It seems like this is going to take a team approach to figure out what, if anything, is wrong. It sounds like you're doing a great job getting good care for your LO, so just keep it up. Like others said, if your baby is happy, it could be nothing - just "catch-down" growth to their genetic potential. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*daybyday View Post
    Have you been to a pediatric gastroenterologist? Meat is actually an acceptable first food (high in iron), and most infants should be able to digest it. Since your LO seemed to have a bad reaction to it, I'd be inclined to suspect some sort of allergy, intolerance or malabsorption... from the description of the poo, maybe fat malabsorption?
    That's exactly what I was thinking, too, but not being a doctor I wasn't sure if I was right.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would see a pediatric GI just to help sort it out. The jellied stools sounds odd - could be an allergy or malabsorption Can't hurt to have a GI do a stool analysis just to rule stuff out.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

how to find an IBCLC

calorie and fat content of baby foods & breastmilk - breastmilk has BY far more calories/ fat than pretty much any other foods a baby might eat.

It sounds to me like a good idea to follow up and rule out problems like malabsorption.

But some LO are "just small". My DS1 started with average birth weight / length. He has consistently stuck to HIS OWN growth curve and currently (age 4) is well under 5% "on the charts". But our pediatrician is looking at things like family history, and is happy with DS1 growth and over-all health.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Not an expert here and no personal experience. But your situation sounds similar to my close friend's son. He actually dropped fully off the charts by 9 or 10 months, and also had a strong reaction (in his poo) to cereals. They did all sorts of testing etc. and finally after he was over a year did allergy testing and found out he has some serious allergies. Once they sorted that out, and got him on a diet that was compatible with his gut he started gaining weight well again. Anyhow, just thought I'd share an additional perspective. Sending you virtual hugs and support!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    It sounds like she is eating plenty. I think my concern would not so much be whether your milk is adequate (which can be tested) but whether she is having malabsorption problems, meaning she is getting plenty of nutrients, but not able to absorb them properly. Has the doctor done any kind of blood testing to see where she is nutritionally? Any urine or stool tests to see if she's spilling protien or if there is blood in her stool? Any sign of allergies- mucousy or bloody stool, rash/eczema, congestion, change in health or behavior when you introduced solids?
    If there's such a test does that mean it's possible that a mother's BM is not nutritious enough for her baby?

I too have a small, slow-to-gain baby with no known health issue who is still getting 80%-90% of her nutrition from my BM (just about a month ago it was still over 90%) and my mom keeps talking about "good BM (that grows gaining babies), not-so-good BM" and I told her BM is virtually the same nutritionally from woman to woman . Isn't that true?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    If there's such a test does that mean it's possible that a mother's BM is not nutritious enough for her baby?

I too have a small, slow-to-gain baby with no known health issue who is still getting 80%-90% of her nutrition from my BM (just about a month ago it was still over 90%) and my mom keeps talking about "good BM (that grows gaining babies), not-so-good BM" and I told her BM is virtually the same nutritionally from woman to woman . Isn't that true?
    I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that human milk is pretty uniform. It seems like it must be possible to have milk that is less nutritious. But, even studies of malnourished mothers found that they produced pretty uniformly nutritious milk. My guess would be that it's possible to have milk that's defective in some way, but that that is extremely rare. It's not something I would worry about.