Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure to Thrive??

Default Failure to Thrive??

My dtr is 9 1/2 months old she curently weighs 15lbs 9oz. She has literally fallen off the growth chart. I have listed her weigh ins and corresponding percentile below. She is meeting her milestones at a reasonable pace a couple things she did like a month or so later then "average". She has 6+ wet diapers a day average 1-2 good sized bowel movements. She is being held (in arms, frontpack, or sling) majority of time(per her demand lol) She is currently breastfed on demand usually every 3 hoursish. She is breastfed then offered solids between 5-6pm she usually eats 1 jar of stage 2 fruit or veg with 2oz expressed breastmilk and 2-3Tbsp of infant cereal. Ocassionally wakes for 1 6oz bottle expressed breastmilk around 4am while i'm at work. She is happy and looks small but healthy, Dr refered her to a nutritionist, am i producing inadequate breastmilk? We've offered her small amounts of foods at other times of the day and she isn't interested or only takes very small amount. Her pedi is very good i really trust her, I'm just not sure how much i wanna push the weight thing?

Birth- 7lb 6oz (45%) 19in (38%)

1 month 9lb 3oz (50%) 20.75 in (52%)

2 months 10lb 11oz (48%) 23 inches (82%)

4 months 12lb 12oz (35%) 25 in (83%) dr mentioned slight drop will keep eye on

6 months13lb 9 oz (10%)25 in (33%) started on baby cereal 1x daily. added fruit/veg around 7-7 1/2 mon. added meats hwv unable to digest

8 months 14 lb 15oz (3%) 28in (57%) booked 2 week f/u no further dietary changes until after f/u visit secondary to GI upset related to inability to process meats

9 1/2 months 15lb 9 oz (3%) refered to early intervention for nutritionist services

No colds, ear infections etc. Sry so lengthy wanted to include as much info as possible.
    I posted similar forum couple weeks ago now new diagnosis. I did check WHO breastfed growth chart, with similar numbers not as steep but she did still fall off curve

**UPDATE**

You guys were so incredibly helpful during these times! I've tried to login to LLI several times over the last year and my computer would never load it and only bring me to an error screen. I randomly tried again today and tada!!!
    Leilani is now 3yrs 2mo and still nursing!!!!!! Matter of fact shes tandem nursing with my 9mo
    Thankyou!
    Last edited by @llli*melindab; January 18th, 2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: update

Default Re: Failure to Thrive??

It sounds like she is eating plenty. I think my concern would not so much be whether your milk is adequate (which can be tested) but whether she is having malabsorption problems, meaning she is getting plenty of nutrients, but not able to absorb them properly. Has the doctor done any kind of blood testing to see where she is nutritionally? Any urine or stool tests to see if she's spilling protien or if there is blood in her stool? Any sign of allergies- mucousy or bloody stool, rash/eczema, congestion, change in health or behavior when you introduced solids?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It looks like the biggest drop happened after you introduced solids. What kind of cereal were you using? When you say she wasn't digesting meats, what do you mean?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Did she start to get mobile around 8 months? What does your pediatrician think about the weight drop?

I understand that it's a concern that she's dropping in percentiles, but my daughter has always been around 5% growth and nobody has said she is failure to thrive. How is your daughter otherwise? Does she seem happy? Or pretty discontented?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She hasn't had any adverse reactions to any fruit/veg. I started her on barley but she has since also had oatmeal. I was giving her half a jar of stage 1 meats (WIC) with a jar of veg or combo at 5p. Bowel movements increased in frequency and had the consistancy of jellied turkey fat (sry if that TMI) wouldn't even absorb into diapers just oozed and gooped everywhere. Pedi said that meats dont normally get introd until after 9 months and that her digestive system couldn't process it. stools returned to normal 2nd day after stopping meats. No testing has been done, however I did have a thought that absorption could be the prob i also noted biggest drop after solid intro. Pedi will see and re-eval in 2 mon

I think if it were me I might back off solids until I got it figured out. Just to see if it helps. 2 months is a long time to wait and see. The positive side is that she is steadily gaining and there has been no weight loss.
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I think if it were me I might back off solids until I got it figured out. Just to see if it helps. 2 months is a long time to wait and see. The positive side is that she is steadily gaining and there has been no weight loss.

I can understand your concern. My son was just under 16 lbs at 1 year. He essentially stopped gaining weight between 6 and 9 months (gained 6 ounces during that period), but grew lengthwise/head circumference/etc. I was pretty freaked out, but the pediatrician wasn't--his dad is tall and skinny, and she said that that it was genetics coming into play. Could that be the case for your LO? (Or part of it--I can definitely see why you'd want to investigate the absorption question)

my 1st LO had about the same pattern but started a bit smaller (6lb 4oz) and was only back to birth weight at 1 month (6lb 2oz). After that she had the same pattern yours did. We did not really get solids going until 9 months because she refused and became ill when we tried to push them. We went to a early intervention for nutritionist services and she told us when we fed cereal we were told to mix it with heavy whipping cream which is almost all fat. I also made cheese and yogurt with breastmilk and heavy whipping cream mixed and she started gaining weight pretty quick. The next thing we knew (a few months later) she was back up to "normal" weights and grew quickly. Now if a big strong healthy 3.5 year old.

Good luck and your LO will grow soon enough.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My son was also 3% when he was 1 and recieved service his wgt prob was because he was chronically very sick. They really wanted me to mix butter with all his food syrup on pancakes, heavy wipping cream, high fat low nutrition foods because their dads fam has a strong history of morbid obesity (all over 250lb a couple over 600lb) i'm ver reluctant to give such foods afraid their pallets will desire those style foods. idk. i'm really unsure about it all. Thanks for the afdvice. I called a lactation consultant and she said shes not gaining because i'm not feeding her adequately and she should be on three meals a day solids first then breastmilk as a beverage not as nutrition with 2 snacks a day??? So now i'm even more confused. She only started solids at 7 month so within 2 months i should have transtioned her from exclusive breast milk to three meal two snacks. That sounds crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melindab View Post
    My son was also 3% when he was 1 and recieved service his wgt prob was because he was chronically very sick. They really wanted me to mix butter with all his food syrup on pancakes, heavy wipping cream, high fat low nutrition foods because their dads fam has a strong history of morbid obesity (all over 250lb a couple over 600lb) i'm ver reluctant to give such foods afraid their pallets will desire those style foods. idk. i'm really unsure about it all. Thanks for the afdvice. I called a lactation consultant and she said shes not gaining because i'm not feeding her adequately and she should be on three meals a day solids first then breastmilk as a beverage not as nutrition with 2 snacks a day??? So now i'm even more confused. She only started solids at 7 month so within 2 months i should have transtioned her from exclusive breast milk to three meal two snacks. That sounds crazy.
    That is a red flag to me that you need a new lactation consultant--can you get to an IBCLC (international board-certified LC)? For the first year, breast milk should comprise the majority of her diet, with solids only to experiment with/try out. Trust your gut here. That is crazy.

ETA: You may already be doing this, but we added olive oil to lots of his foods (pasta, for example), and he ate a lot of whole-milk plain yogurt and whole-milk cottage cheese to get plenty of good fats.