Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Took benadryl, now nothing during pumping

Default Took benadryl, now nothing during pumping

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting. Long story short, I have been trying to induce since Aug 7th. The second day of pumping, I started to get small "dots of clear fluid" on each breast after 15 minutes of pumping. Began fenugreek (8 daily) on the 5th day and started taking domperidone (80mg daily) and it immediately began increasing the number of "clear dots" of fluid at every pumping. Then on Aug 15th, 16th and 17th, I took benadryl for my allergies, having no idea that it would effect inducing lactation. As of the 16th, I am not pumping anything out of my breasts and the clear fluid "dots" have totally dried up. I have not pumped ANYTHING since the 16th ( 8 days)!!!!!!!!!! I am still taking 8 fenugreek a day, 80 mg of domperidone, and pumping every three hours, but nothing! How long before the benadryl is out of my system!!!!! My breasts feel full and I am having let downs, but still nothing!! Should I stop and take a break and start all over, or should I keep doing what I have been doing? Anyone have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Default Re: Took benadryl, now nothing during pumping

You are inducing lactation? or relactating? From what I can find there is no info that Benadryl will reduce supply but other allergy/cold medications can. This link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thanks so much for such a quick reply. I will look for over my notes for other reasons my supply disappeared besides benadryl. By the way I'm inducing.

Possibly my pump tubing. I just bought new tubing for my 2008 medela pump in style advanced. However, when I purchased it, she gave me a silicone set that had ends on them. The lady told me to just to cut off one end and plug the cut in to the pump, that should work. Looking up tubing, it looks like I was given the wrong tube .... maybe that's it!

yeah the wrong tubing wouldn't be good. Now just curious but why are you inducing? Are you adopting? not trying to by nosy- just curious and totally fine if you don't want to answer. Have you seen this info?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    KUP as to how you are doing!!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Just fyi, when I had my ds I had a cold and the midwife specifically said do NOT take benedryl because it will dry up your supply at the beginning. Something about the antihystemines in it. BUT she said it is ok to take after you have a well established supply. I didn't find any references for that info, but just thought I would mention that.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am adopting. Thanks to all that replied. I am due to pick up my new tubing tomorrow. Maybe after a day or two of pumping every 3 hours, I will have some results!

Hope the tubing helps! for working hard to breastfeed your baby!

Pump tubing did make a difference. I am now getting clear dots on each breast just like before. Hopefully, my milk will come in soon. Just a note **** make sure you get the right tubing for your pump. It may look the same ... but medela pisa use specific tubes ! Hope this helps and you don't waste almost 3 weeks of pumping with an ineffective pumping.

YAY for clear dots!!! Sorry your tubing was wrong