This is a long post, so please read it before blasting me for forcefully weaning my son. I don't want to; it's not a choice.
I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus when I was 15. At 25, I was declared in remission, and we decided to take advantage of it and have a baby. I have been exceptionally lucky - I have remained in remission through the entire pregnancy and for 16mos of my son's life.
Now, he is 16.5mos old and my SLE is back. Full force. I went in to see my rheumatologist today because my hands are too sore/swollen to hold a pen or pencil and write, and my knees to swollen for me to crouch down onto the floor to be with my son or to do my parttime job (i'm a dog trainer), and my shoulder hurts so much, it's waking me at night.
My doctor said I'm worse than she's seen me in years, and I have been put on a pulse treatment of Prednisone. I will be on it for about a month, and she says at the end of the month, she wants to put me on CellCept (mycophenolate; Hale's lists it as an L4). I've done well on CellCept in the past; I am allergic to most of the other drug options (having been on the majority of them in 13yr of having SLE).
I am hoping to avoid CellCept in a month. I am willing to change my diet as much as possible (more raw fruit/veg, raw smoothies daily, etc) and do everything in my power to nudge this symptom flare away and allow me to continue nursing my son, but I'm terrified that in one month, I will be told to wean my little man.
He still nurses multiple times every day. He nurses upon waking in the morning (we cosleep), and nurses anytime he gets hurt or frustrated, nurses because it occurs to him that he wants to/is hungry, and nurses to fall asleep for naps and at night. He also wakes at least once or twice most nights to nurse.
I figure the best place to start would be night weaning. I really, REALLY do not want to do this. I know in my heart that the best thing for him is to nurse until he's at least 2yr, but my doctor says the risk of organ involvement in SLE is too high and so I have to wean him.
I have read what Hale recommends when CellCept is indicated, but I won't see my doctor again for a month to ask her if I could be put on cyclosporine (an L3) instead. So I'm going on the belief that in roughly a month and a half, I won't be able to nurse my little nursling anymore.
Please give me some tips for gentle, loving night weaning. Ideally, I would like to be able to get him to sleep at naps and bedtime and to get him back to sleep upon waking at night without nursing him.
There is no one else to help; my husband works from 2pm-12am, and has school from 11am-7pm two days a week (the two days he's not working), so I am the one who will have to get baby to sleep for naps/bed.
Thank you so much for reading this, and thank you for any advice you may have.